ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
I am flying tomorrow and don't want to check in my tackle bag with my lures and reels. Is something like this allowed as a carry on item as long as I don't have any knives, butane torches, or throwing stars? I cannot get anybody to answer this question at the airline I am flying. Do any of you have experiences with this? I am flying out of Ohaire.
Thanks
Scout

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Scout,

From the TSA site
Fishing Tackle. Fishing equipment should be placed in checked baggage. Some tackle is sharp and dangerous. Expensive reels or fragile tackle such as flies should be packed in your carry-on baggage.

I would take photos of the bag and tackle in case they lose it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I left for Florida from Midway in February. I had to check my tackle bag and rod holder. Everything came through fine and they count the combo of a rod and tackle bag as one item being checked.

Dan

·
Premium Member
2,109 Posts
I fly into Canada at least once a year, some times I can take my small tackle bar with reel compartment on top and 4 plano box's with lure's sa a carry on , and sometimes not. It depends on who you get a the ticket counter and the screening check befor you board. Twice I've had to check it in , and 4 times I've carried it on. Allways a united flight or Ted flight.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
You CANNOT take tools, hooks, etc. as carry on. I almost missed a flight to the keys because of this, I had to run back and check it-then American lost the bag anyways. Doh!

·
Registered
298 Posts
What I do to get my rods (especially $300 fly rods), tackle, guns ,bows to my destination is to ship them to the hotel or where ever I'm staying .

The baggage gorillas will put a hurting on your gear dude

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
If you put 2 piece rods into a rod holder, rubber band them together with the butt end of the rod extending and inch or so beyong the rod top of the upper section, it will help prevent a broken rod tip. If they are all 1 piece rods.... well I'd recommend some prayer :lol: Actually I've checked rods many times and never had a problem, but I usually wrap them in bubble wrap and I added additional foam at each end of my rod tube (Plano model)

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I ship mine to said location as well, it's usually cheaper then the $50 charge from the airline. I also wrap them with towels and add addition foam, UPS is rough with equipment as well. It's extremely nerve racking either way, insurance won't cover your tackle box. Well, I guess if you kept receipts for every lure.

G

·
Tubes77 said:
If you put 2 piece rods into a rod holder, rubber band them together with the butt end of the rod extending and inch or so beyong the rod top of the upper section, it will help prevent a broken rod tip. (Plano model)
Better still; add a piece of broomstick/dowel rod that is an inch longer than your longest rod. That way the tube won't close.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Its a good idea to put some reflective tape on the outside of the rod holder.Makes it easier for the baggage people to see it and hopefully it gets where your going too.If there are a bunch of rod holders at baggage claim you can pick it out faster or see if someone else was.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts