ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Officially counting down the days.....this helps pass the time until we head north of the border. Some of the more interesting shots of last year's trip.

Tribute to all those anglers who like the "longarm pose!"

Bassmaster wannabe shot

Smallmouth eats lure...pike eats smallmouth, caught them both!

Same fish

Big bass of the trip - 20.5"

·
Registered
161 Posts
this pic is from Pickeral Creek Camp 2 days ago on April 26th. Still got well over 2 ft of ice so to the guys going up for the opener it may be iffy :eek:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Two feet of ice...that's crazy. Good thing I'm only going about 15 miles north of Crane Lake, MN. I talked to the guy up at the outfitter/floatplane place last week and he said they got 14" of new snow a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
531 Posts
There is rumor.....mind you I said RUMOR that there is a movement in MN to postpone the opener a couple weeks because of the lake situation.
I don't know how they could do this though.
There are people with cabin and hotel reservations, travel and vacation plans etc to coincide with this.

I have a tourney on MilleLacs on the 17th. I might need my boat and my auger !!! :eek:

·
Registered
823 Posts
actually, the lakes are opening up better then expected. I hear Mille Lacs is starting to open up quite nicely, although still needs a week or so to go. Northern WI has opened up quite a bit over the last week. I think everything will be ready, there's no way they postpone any openers

·
Registered
143 Posts
A week from today I'll be packing the truck and leaving Thur a.m. We drive to EMO and stay at a hotel. We have a short 4 1/2 hour drive on Fri. Plenty of time to unpack, get the boat in the water and have some cold ones. Sounds like ice will be getting out right before we get there this year.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Same plan for us, except we're heading to International Falls. Wake up Friday morning & cross, & have the boat in the water by 2:00 hoping for northern for dinner Friday night. Haven't got skunked yet. My wife seemed insulted when I mentioned the "hourly countdown" yesterday. Oh well, she'll have 8 days to get over it after I leave!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Gotfish you stay at Pakuni or Snake Falls right? We stay at Holiday North Lodge (used to be Ciancis). Anyway there is 3 of is and we fish out of a Tan Lund Alaskan with a dark blue Envirude.

gotfish? said:
Same plan for us, except we're heading to International Falls. Wake up Friday morning & cross, & have the boat in the water by 2:00 hoping for northern for dinner Friday night. Haven't got skunked yet. My wife seemed insulted when I mentioned the "hourly countdown" yesterday. Oh well, she'll have 8 days to get over it after I leave!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
We used to stay at Snake Falls. There were some issues a few years back between a couple of our guys and the owners of the camp, and now we're at Trout River Lodge. As you enter the river from the lake, it's the first camp on the left (with all the rod holders on the boat docks). We'll be pulling in there around 11 in the morning. I'm not sure which boat I'm in this year. I'll have to look for yours. Wait a minute...do you need a boat to ice fish?

·
Registered
143 Posts
We are right across the street from you. We'll be pulling in around 1:00 or so. We stop and pickup a few groceries in Nestor Falls and grab lunch and our licenses in Vermillion Bay. I sure hope we don't need to bring an auger this year. I'm sure we'll be fine on the river.

gotfish? said:
We used to stay at Snake Falls. There were some issues a few years back between a couple of our guys and the owners of the camp, and now we're at Trout River Lodge. As you enter the river from the lake, it's the first camp on the left (with all the rod holders on the boat docks). We'll be pulling in there around 11 in the morning. I'm not sure which boat I'm in this year. I'll have to look for yours. Wait a minute...do you need a boat to ice fish?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Small world. The river is open now, pretty far in either direction. The lake is thawing, and was just declared unsafe for ice fishing. I'm guessing we'll be fine too. Look how fast Lake Michigan clears. It has been kinda neat in the past when you get out on the lake and there are still little "icebergs" floating around. If there is, pull your boat up and grab some of the ice. Throw it in your coolers...it literally lasts for days.

·
Registered
19 Posts
lol never thought of counting down hours but fwiw 214

I am going to gamble and go to the cleft rock lake I asked about earlier. It is not far from Nestor Falls and I just talked to them. Ice is out on all but the deepest lakes and that has really slowed things down. He has not even made it into any of his cabins but is doing so next week. Temperatures have been below average ( big surprise ) and seems to be a rain cycle of sorts ( so what is new that is why they make gortex )

I will let you guys know how it goes unless it is spectacular then I am, of course, lying. :)6

Dick

·
Registered
531 Posts
Ice is still not out on Lake Vermilion in northern Minnesota (as of May 12th). Canada must still be socked in on many lakes.
Vermilion won't be ice out until late this week according to the DNR.

·
Registered
7 Posts
TeamTUNA,
Now I know what you mean when you told me you were stoked for your Canada trip last Saturday morning at Diversey! Those are some pig smallies! Man, I'm going to have to get up there sometime. It was nice meeting you at Diversery Harbor and I appreciate the tips. My southeastern bass tactics aren't really cutting it up here; I've got a lot to learn. Hope to see you out there again...

Jeremy

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.