ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only really been fishing for bass for just over 1 year.

So my question is:

Is it too Early to Use Spinner Baits?

I got out twice after ice out here, and not 1 bite.... and I know the lake has nice bass in it.

??

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Red Rattle Traps are productive for ice-out bass. Some big bass have been taken with them.

In terms of a spinnerbaits at this time of the year, you'll have to put it in front of their nose to trigger a reaction strike. It's pretty tough to catch ice-out bass on anything since they are still lethargic. Keep at it. Good fishing.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I personally can't throw anything but a rattle trap. Especially, Xcalibur XR50 and Lucky Craft Lvr7. Also I have had success with a variety of flat crankbaits. Like pswitzer said you pretty much have to put the spinner in the face of the fish, the rattles call out and bring bass in. Rattle traps are a great search bait with lethargic fish since you can bomb em out there and cover alot of water unlike the majority shorter casting spinnerbaits.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
In the Spring, I prefer the water to hit about 50 before throwing spinnerbaits. The best baits for me are rattetraps to cover water and finesse plastics worked ultra slow. As an inbetween, a 3/8 chatterbait has worked well for me the last few Springs. It has a much smaller body profile then a standard spinnerbait, which seems to help early in the year.

·
Registered
911 Posts
What kind of retrieves are you guys giving on the rattle baits? I usually fish them fast when I use them later in the year, so is this a dragging situation or do you still give them a little pop?

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Cluricaun said:
What kind of retrieves are you guys giving on the rattle baits? I usually fish them fast when I use them later in the year, so is this a dragging situation or do you still give them a little pop?
I just use a steady retrieve that is just fast enough to keep it above the weeds. It never ceases to amaze me when fish hit it with the water so cold.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Sweet, thanks for the info Matt.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have to agree with the finesse plastics as well. I cast towards shore and slowly bring it back towards the deeper water. I also am big fan of the lipless cranks, and any kind of deep crank. It may seem counter intuitive because the fish are lethargic, but I have done well on pretty good size baits too. My guess is that they figure if I am going after a meal, might as well make it worth it.

Marty

·
Registered
51 Posts
try jerkbaits. haven't (seriuosly)used them until about 3 years ago. now it's my "go to" cold water bait. :)2

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
Ya never know? :eek:
Here's a case from last year.
One afternoon (May) we could NOT keep Bass off the chatter bait. My fishin'buddy & I caught, well lets say we stopped counting. Next morning I went out & was so pumped up from the day before, that I only had 2 or 3 hits in over 1hr. casting. Went to my ole favorite Lizard 7" - Purple & started catchin them. Pumkin & Watermelon color was the ticket.

So is there a set rule that works on any given day?> NO< imo;

·
Registered
192 Posts
slow rolling spinnerbaits is verry good in the cold down to about 42
a few things i do is go to my box of junked spinnerbaits and find some smaller blades and go one size down ie if you have a 3/8 spinner use the
blades from a 1/4 this helps it get down one more thing is you can cut down bigger spinnerbaits frame and put smaller blades on for a more compact offering ,these few mods help me alot for smallies on spinners on the big lake one more thing that helps is to thin out the skirts and add
just a few strands of chartruse ,try this and you will get alot more bass .

·
Registered
356 Posts
Slow rolling a spinnerbait in spring can be an effective presentation but, like someone said above, you pretty much have to put it right in their face for them to bite it. My best spring presentations are rattle baits and 4" wacky rigged Senko's. The rattle baits I just reel in at a slow steady pace and the senko's I fish extremely slow. I like to downsize everything in spring. Once summer rolls around I use a larger rattle bait and a 6" or larger senko.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Now is the time when fish strap on the feed bag. Slow I will agree with but not small. Spring time fish are looking for an aesy meal that they dont have to chase down and that is going to be worth their effort. Now is the time when they start to fatten up for the spawn. Cant beat a nice fat jig n pig for springtime hawgs.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Did very well today fishing a Bomber Flat A crank. It is plastic, and is neutrally bouyant, so it suspends (with a very slow rise). I also weighted it just a hair with Suspendots. Reel it down, then proceed to fish it stop and go, about 5-6 secod stops seemed to do it. The flat crank has a tight wobble, which is better for cold water such as we have now.

I also successfully used a Cordell Suspending Spot (a rattle trap that suspends, rather then sinking). ;)

Water was probably no warmer than say 45-46 degrees, so the suspending aspect of the baits was key. All hits were on the pause, as the baits just sat there and ticked off the fish! :)2

·
Registered
407 Posts
Spinnerbaits can work all year.

Some of my favorite spinnerbaits ever are the Shannon Twin Spinner, Beetle Spin, and the Mepps Bass Killer in buck tail. These Mepps are no longer made but were un-doubted perhaps the best all-year-round spinnerbaits I ever used. They came out while I used to be one of thier field testers. The blades were Mepps spinner blades. I caught giant Saganashskee, Tampier, Sag Quarry West, and local pond bass on these up until ice up, and right at ice out for a few years. They came in a range of colors, favorites were white-blue-chartruse, chartruse-white-red, blue-yellow, and just plain white bucktail. They had the Mister Twister Keeper hook built in, to which my best success was adding Mr. Twister's Split Double Tails (had four tails which was very stable, no rolling EVER). Shannon Twin Spinners were a main-stay on the Kankakee River. They had 2 kind of Colorado blades and bucktail skirts and were virtually snagless. Johnson's Beetle Spins are probably the most copied spinnerbait out there. They might be simple in design but work often when larger spinnerbaits don't. I think a lot of "removablke-skirt" spinnerbaits are peices of crap. They fall off too much. It's amazing why "bucktail" spinnerbaits aren't popular for largemouths in our area.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts