ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an amazing time to fish for most species of fish. I fish on lake Michigan for a living (25 years now) all Summer, but this is one my favorite time! The Walleye are sniffing around for their Spawning locations already and are staging just off the drop off all day waiting for the sun to set so they can come into the shallow points, and reefs (2 feet deep is not too shallow to fish) I love Lakes that "close" at Sunset by a chain strung at the entrance of the Park. BTW the bike paths are never really closed and legal parking can be found within a few miles usually. Get your waders,head mounted light, backpack, bike, 6 1/2 to 7 foot, light action rod with 6 # line, Husky Jerk that dives based on the location / depth you are fishing. I fish a spot that drops to 9 feet quickly, but the water where I am standing is typically thigh deep. Husky Jerk, HJ8 is my bait of choice. After 11PM the fish come shallow! A stop and go retrieve that pauses longer as the wind / conditions calm. Don't set the hook when you get a bite!!!! The Walleye suck the bait in on you pause and a hook set will just pull it out.Just reel. Develop a cadence based on conditions and pay attention to "Moon-rise" time. Good luck guys! .

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
I fish on lake Michigan for a living (25 years now) all Summer, but this is one my favorite time! The Walleye are sniffing around for their Spawning locations already and are staging just off the drop off all day waiting for the sun to set so they can come into the shallow points, and reefs (2 feet deep is not too shallow to fish)After 11PM the fish come shallow! pay attention to "Moon-rise" time. .
Thanks Cap'n G!

I've been missing out on this walleye run for too many years now. This year I'm ready with a brand new float tube. I'm not comfortable hitting the south side :)41after 11 pm, especially after moonrise. With my pale skin, the thugs would spot me from 1/2 mile away.

I'm thinking around Belmont would be good. Do you think Montrose beach is better? It fits your description of "shallow" better.

I fish on lake Michigan for a living (25 years now) all Summer, but this is one my favorite time! I love Lakes that "close" at Sunset by a chain strung at the entrance of the Park. BTW the bike paths are never really closed and legal parking can be found within a few miles usually.
They started closing Lake Michigan now with a chain?? :confused: Parking a few miles away, carrying a float tube? Another reason I won't do the south side. Me, walking a few miles there, after 11 pm? :)41:confused: The bright part of being in the morgue is that I wouldn't have to make the long walk back to my car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.