·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vanish?
PLine?
Advanced Mono?
Cordell?

Not crazy about brades unless they are on the head of a gal.....

Man, this stuff is getting to be like buying toilet paper. A whole isle of differenct toilet paper brands? Please......

Come on guys, what is your advice?

The application is river jig fishing, 6lb test, normally for walleyes and saugers on the Mississippi....

Thanks.....

·
Registered
540 Posts
I like Vanish as a univeral main line on spinning gear, but I have used P-Line fluoro as leader material w/ braids on casting gear.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have ben using vanish transition for a couple of years now, and I like it a lot. The "Transition" part of it is a great feature, making it easy to see your line above water, as it reacts to sun light and turns bright gold, or now they also offer red. I have found the gold easier to see, and will go back to that as I bought Red this year.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
I used Yo-Zuri Hybrid last year and really liked it.

This year I have Pline - Flouroclear to give a try

- Adam

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I would just buy a cheap floro and use it as a leader material with a superline like PowerPro as the mainline - seems to work out fine from saltwater for Group to trolling for walleyes.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I like Vanish as a leader too. Works well on Walleye.
If you don't want to use a leader though, the best fluoro is the new stuff....Berkely 100% Fluoro.

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Get some regular old Berkely Trilene. It will work just as well as all the other stuff. Wally's at this time of year need a jig to bump 'em in the nose anyway !

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks boys.....

Aside from the gentlemen who actually believes "WALLEYE FISHING IS BORING", the information is greatly appreciated....

I'm hitting L&D 4 on the Mississippi later this month and will try some of these lines...the mono I had been using had just too much stretch and braided was like fishing with wire....

I will report back....

Thank you all!!!!

·
Registered
440 Posts
The thing i like the most about flouro that noone mentioned i beleive is that it has a smaller amount of stretch than mono which = more sensitivity. I truly beleive whether your using it as a leader off of braid or spooled up whole with it that you will feel more fish. Ideally though, your vertical jigging.....Now if your casting.......Let's just say that IMO there is a line for every situation.

·
Registered
693 Posts
All I can tell you, is do not spool you entire reel with Vanish. What a friggin' nightmare that turned out to be for me. ZERO memory. In other words, it was in the bottom of the boat on the first cast and spilling everywhere all day. Expensive, frustrating, and pointless, seeing as how the fish only see about the last 6"-18" of your line anyways!

Spool up whatever you normally use and then just make up some leaders of Seaguar flourocarbon. This is what they use for bonefish in the islands. You can't get a spookier fish than that, so it must be good stuff.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Wouldn't the stretch and awful? Again I use power pro, and maybe a leader in clearer water. I spooled with brekley transition and it was a nightmare. I fish the wisc. river and the power pro works great for sensitivity and strength it's unbeatable. Even boated on accident a 50" musky fours ago on 10lb /2 diamater !!

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Why use it for jigging?

Maybe a leader or for harnesses, but thats it.

In Fisherman this month has an article on when to use and not use fluoro.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Mark Komo said:
Why use it for jigging?

Maybe a leader or for harnesses, but thats it.

In Fisherman this month has an article on when to use and not use fluoro.
I liked that article, it was really good. Fluoro is actually great for deep water jigging say 20 ft or more. I find it much easier to feel light biters with the limited stretch line in that depth of water. Its also easier to make solid hook sets.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I know a couple of guys that practice deep water vertical jigging (30+) for perch. They say that helps em get the "feel" for slipping the illinois for sauger. They swear by fluor.

The memory is wicked, ultraviolet rays kill it, and not overly abraison resistent.

Fireline would work for deep water jigging, but I never tried fluoro. Glad the article could help.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.