ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if the fox river opened up around Carpentersville?? I would love to wade the river from the dam as far as I can go without getting into big ice chunks. roughly a 1 mile stretch is where im looking for. Thanks Guys, much is appreciated! :)2

Dave

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JDSPINNERS said:
Wrench, I was at Mchenry Dam today, and crossed over rt 88 on the way to Dekalb with no signs of ice. Algonquin is also open. Above the chain is still ice but not for long. :)2
Thanks JD, That was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the info! :)2 By the way, are the eyes biting at the McHenry dam yet? :-D

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Carpentersville is open,be carefull :)2

·
Registered
882 Posts
The river has been coming down, but its still pretty high. I'd be real careful wading around C'ville dam. There are some deep spots and some dangerous spots. Watch out for the fast current that whips around the gravel bar on the west side of the river....it drops off real fast and if your not ready for it, it will take your feet out from underneath you.

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
The warnings these guys have posted should be heeded.
Many people have the idea that the C'vill dam area is fairly safe, and it can be.
The problem is when the water is higher.
As was mentioned the chute on the west side can grab you real fast and there's a hole there in the deep water.
On the east side it stays shallow but again, it narrows and the current really has some strength right where it drops.
Add to this that crossing these areas is unlike other spots on the Fox in that the rocks are very slippery in the faster current.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, but I have waded it many times... including at night. I know that stretch and thats why I asked. but thanks for the concern ;) This weekend should hopefully be good to wade there as long as it doesn't rain and the level keeps dropping. But thanks again guys :)2

Wrench

·
Registered
882 Posts
Good luck, but most importantly, be safe. The river is more than just a little high right now....I doubt it will drop much by the weekend, might even be higher. there is still snow melting in WI and a deep layer of frost that has yet to melt. Don't want to read about anyone in the paper !

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fish E said:
Good luck, but most importantly, be safe. The river is more than just a little high right now....I doubt it will drop much by the weekend, might even be higher. there is still snow melting in WI and a deep layer of frost that has yet to melt. Don't want to read about anyone in the paper !
No problem, thanks for the concern... You can never be too safe :)2

1 - 11 of 11 Posts