ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In case you don't already know, now is prime time for catching jumbo night crawlers. Right after or during a big rain like the one we have going on now, you should go outside and collect worms. In the past two nighst, ive caught over 14 dozen nightcrawlers in less than 2 hours searching. If you do the math, that is over 30 dollars I saved if I were to buy from a store. Also, these worms are more lively than store bought ones.

This is the second year Ive been doing this. Last year, I stored them is a big bucketin my garage. They lasted until it got really hot. This year. I have them in the little styrafoam worm containers i picked up and saved from along the shores of lakes.

G

·
Get some magik worm bedding and 1-2 large styrofoam containers from the store. Keep them in the refigerator when it gets warmer, and add som food and water every once in a while.

They'll be fine for quite a while.

G

·
Good tip Mike.

My kids make extra money selling Night Crawlers to friends and family. We use wet newspaper and coffee grounds for the worms in a big cooler and it works great!! They will last for weeks in the garage. Remember night crawlers are good for your garden too. tite lines

Capt. Jon

G

·
A little sawdust on your hands makes it easier to pick them. Provides some grip when they are trying to pull back into their hole.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I suggest buying the book, "Lunkers Love Nitecrawlers." It has some tips on keeping your crawlers fat n' sassy. Sounds like you guys already know about all the tips. And...it has great fishing tips about how to fish with them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
buy one of those 20-25 gal heavy plastic home utility containers {$5.00} at menards or home depot, find a area of your property that is shady 99% of the time, dig a hole and put the drum in up to almost the curvature on top of the drum, 2 shovels wht limestone screenings,1 pr 2 bags of blackpotting soil mixed with 1 bushel of ONE YEAR OLD oak leaves, wet but not slopy, cover with wet burlap and cover with a GARBAGE CAN lid to keep the ***** out, feed once a week with a handful of corn meal. Fresh oak leaves has to much acid in them. check occasionaly for rewetting burlap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts