ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been hitting the river at least twice a week with some nice catches, but usually spread out over a while. Was out Friday fished into the night caught sm. males with a load of dinker smallies. Overall the bite we were getting has quieted down with a lot more smallies showing up. Was wondering if you guys are catching some egg laden females. I would'nt think the spawn is on quite yet but i know different fish different areas different cycles. Just trying to gauge things. So females showing up for you guys?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I fished in wilmington this morning in several different spots landing 1 dink small mouth and a ton of good size rock bass. All my buddy caught was rock bass too! Them guys were hitting everything from golden roaches to spinnerbaits,rapala's night crawlers. It was better than getting skunked & nice to get out before starting work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I thought it was over with the spawn of walleyes early ice out. They're first to go. True??

G

·
I believe the walleye spawn just after the pike right after ice out. Even when I fish the lower waters of Ontario, we hit post spawn walleyes in the middle of May.

The eyes in IL should be 99% done spawning, any fish you catch from here on out will be late males (ususally small), and spawned out fish.

Smallies spawn about the same time as Bass/sunfish. Mid 60 degree water temps before they get going.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"on quite yet" should have read done quite yet but i love the sarcasm you get from egomaniacs on these threads. Anyhows was out again today first five minutes my buddy gets a 19" walleye on a clown x rap thought we get some more stragglers throughout the day All dinkers with some decent smallies mixed in. I did get a mean burn on my skin and got to watch this older fellow lose a huge gar he hooked up on a jig and minnow. Thing thrashed about right next to where we were fishing might have been able to feed the racoons had he got up of the chair to fight it. We caught our last female with eggs Monday night the 14th I think its time to move my efforts elsewhere.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts