ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read nearly all the posts on CLF about Kayaking the big lake for big fish - which has been a long time dream of mine.

I've been making lists on equipment, safety gear, tackle, etc., you name it. I have started to accumulate safety gear first, as I there is no point in me purchasing a yak that I can't outfit and use.

So now I am at the stage of deciding on the kayak itself and I want to get some honest feedback from the guys here.

I know the Hobies are incredibly well reviewed, easy to outfit, stable, and easy to paddle hands free. With no peak to my budget I would get a Pro Angler 14. With a more conservative budget, I am sure that the Outback would do well in the big lake.

I am also looking at the Ocean Prowler 13 as a second option. For a 3rd of the price, this yak looks great, and I have seen some great modifications on youtube.

My biggest questions in regards to the kayaks are:
1) Can you effectively paddle troll for salmon or is the mirage drive a mandatory feature for this type of fishing.
2) How does the stability of the Ocean Kayak Prowler or Trident 13 compare to the Hobies for the big lake?
3) In case of a turn over are the Oceak Kayaks as 'Unsinkable' as the Hobie's?

Any other comments.

At a 3rd of the budget I will be able to put more into safety gear and other Mods. I don't mind the paddle vs. peddle as long as it is reasonably possible.

·
Registered
153 Posts
go to chitown angler 10x the info on yaks and folks that are willing to share info with you.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Go to Johnson Outdoors in Racine Wi. Lots of Yakers troll out of kayaks out of Racine and Kenosha and Johnson Outdoors is the go-to place for yaks and advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts