ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<font color="#00FFFF">Has anybody been down to the Johnathan Creek area. Looking for some infor. on this area, like what type of jig, color, what to look for, ext. I'm heading down there around April 13 for the first time and any infor. would be very useful. Thanks zaraspook</font>

·
Registered
35 Posts
One of the most popular combinations down there for crappies is a red jig with a green 2'" twister tail. don't ask me why, but a lot of the guides use them.
Many people sink their own brushpiles all over the area which are key to holdng fish. No brush pile no fish. Finding these "secret piles" is often the hard part.
If you are down there on a weekend, you'll be able to walk across the lake on all the boats that will be there, especially by the Jonathon creek bridge.
Your best shot to doing well is to hire a guide for the first day, then go back to his spots later. If you can't afford a guide, watch carefully all the other boats and see who's catching fish and where. Take good notes and wait for them to leave.
Good Luck

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the infor. Never been down there. Usally go to Rend Lake but needed a change and the last few year been bad with low water but I see this year Rend lake is up from the pervious years.
Thanks, Zaraspook

·
Registered
92 Posts
Zaraspook,
I am going down to Jonathan Creek this week Thursday thru next week Tuesday. Will post a report as soon as I get back. Ive been going down the last 2 years (this will be my 3rd) and we do not use a guide. Our results show it! We have a lot of trouble finding crappies in any numbers. Size of the fish is very big.
16" and 17" fish, but just a few. It is a good idea to hire a guide because the location of those brushpiles is CRITICAL to finding fish. The crappies relate tightly to the wood, or suspend out in open water where they are hard to catch. No wood, no fish. The only other secret I guess you could use is, most homeowners who fish will put their own brushpiles in front of their docks. If the guy isnt fishing it himself, try fishing out in front of the docks. Use a depthfinder to spot fish and brush on bottom. They are small but should show up on a flasher or graph.
We use green jigs with red heads too, and tip with minnows. Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips. Was thinking about using a guide. I will be looking for your report when you get back. Good luck.
Zaraspook

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well got back. Crappie were very tough. Found most of them in the creek channel. Spider rigs are the best bet. Water was about four feet low. Just talk to another guy who went a week after we did and nothing has change. Also here that the crappie spawn deep. We went April 13-20.

·
Registered
64 Posts
We were down at the same time and it was tough
the water was on the way up and the water temp rose big time.
The best patern for us was early in the morning and late in the evening, not like last year when we caught them just about all day long.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Look for you there. I thought I maybe saw you. Do you have a black Lund name gill and thrill. Yes, very tough. Still I did caught some of my biggest crappie ever down there. We even went to Rend for a day but I think we were about a week or two too early for there.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zaraspook2003 on 2002-05-03 06:18 ]</font>

·
Registered
64 Posts
The gills thrills lund was some buddys that were with us we were in the green and tan lund
that said sea-ya

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now I kinda know who you are. I was the tan and black crestliner with the dual console. We camp really close to you. I'm also the one with the white f250 superduty truck that was park close to were you were staying. Nice boats. I really like the names you both put on them. To bad we didn't met up there. I was looking but I was looking for a different color boat for some reason. Maybe next time. Hope the fishing is better next time to. We are planning a trip down there for next year around the same time.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've lived there off and on for last 20 years. These crappie holes are hard to locate and they change year to year. We have guys that load there boats with Xmas trees and sink brush every year. Trouble is that with the currents with the rise and fall of the lake in spring these piles get moved. I used to spend a lot of time drifting and trolling with the electric motor to locate piles. Red and white tube jigs work really well to. That was my number one crappie jig. Red body white tenicles tiped with a nice minnow. Talked to some of my friends down there and they say this is one of the worst seasons in years. Really tough fishing this spring. Put as many poles in the water as you can based on number of fishermen and set at different depths and ease around until you hook one then work the area. Don't spend a lot of time in one spot unless your getting bites. Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts