ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know little about kicker motors.
Looking for a bit of help. I am picking up my new Ranger 620 this weekend and because I have historically done little or no trolling, I decided to wait on the kicker. My big motor is a Merc ProXS, so I'd like to stay branded with Merc.
I see they have 2 kickers....one called a "Pro-Kicker" and another called BigFoot. Not sure why.
Here is my question.....Is there anything I should specifically be aware of when selecting this motor ?
Also......Would I be OK with a used Merc kicker motor ? I would think this would be fine, especially since I will most likely do limited trolling.
I'll have the dealer install the motor and throttles etc.

Does this make any sense ?? :roll:
Thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you only do a little trolling, I would keep it really simple and inexpensive. Go with manual controls at the motor. What I do is set the kicker at trolling speed, slightly angled to compensate for the off-center thrust and then steer my boat from the driver's seat with the main motor (off), using it as a rudder. Another alternative, if you have one, is to use your bow-mtd. electric trolling motor only to steer, and the kicker for power.
You probably will need a long-shaft kicker; to avoid cost & complication of a riser-plate. If you can't find a used long-shaft kicker, BASAs (or other reputable dealer) can usually install an extender kit to make a 15" shaft unit into a 20".

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.
What about a tie bar to tie the kicker to the big motor ? I have seen this setup before, and the steering is done right from the console.
Thanks again for the info.
I really think I may add one soon.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Tie bar works just fine for me. The Pro Kicker is the way to go. Not sure about the bigfoot.

Think about one of those T1's for hand controlled speed and thrust. I like to use the trolling motor down this way, you can really "snap" the front. Big boats are tough to turn with just the kicker.

Congrats on the new rig.

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
If you look back under 'BOATS & Equipment' you'll find a WEALTH of information, I also asked a question (last year 6/07) in hooking up my kicker motor. Maybe not exactly what you want, but in the same area. Might give ya something to think about.

'Little King' F/Addiction Charters suggested to me & well look it up & read for yourself. I took his advice & for $30$ got it set up & am happy with it. Others commentated what worked for them & gave their opinions, read & see what will work out for you.

http://www.chicagolandfishing.com/forum ... hp?t=52997

Saved me a whole lot of reasearch, wasting time, that alone was worth $15.00 :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts