ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hard to find any good fishing information on it. anyone got any tips? maybe a lake map or were i could find one?

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Damn good bass and crappie lake that should be heating up soon. Lots of big bass will be spawning up at the spillway rocks soon. A shallow running crank worked parralel to them always gave me good results. I really loved fishing that lake when I was at WIU. Still have my PB largemouth and saugeye from there. PM me if you have any specific questions. Lots of the best places are off the beaten path and you have to hike a bit to get to them.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My sister is getting an apartment at WIU so ill prolly fish it once this spring and a couple times in the summer and fall. How deep is it?

G

·
great fishing

This lake is was one of my favorits. to get a map just go to the boat rental station and they have em with depths, fish crates . i fing this place real good for crappie and nice gills ,alot of bass to , and to add to a great place to take the family camping they have spots that you can camp right on the lake and very secludes . hope this helps you ..... travis

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Yep, Jerry Depewe at the marina will get you squared away with a very cheap boat rental, which is a great way to learn the lake. There are only a couple coves, which can make a crappie hunt very easy fishing some of the laydowns in the coves. For bass I did the best on shallow running cranks and stickbaits, but you can get them on just about anything. There also are some huge saugeye, and I am pretty sure I released one that would of broken the state record at the time. Also some good catfish and a few tiger muskie swimming around in there. Almost forgot, if you like trout fishing, they stock it in the spring and fall and hardly anyone even bothers to go out and fish for them. They actually become a nuisance fish when you are fishing for other species.

Here are a few pics of some of the fish caught b/w 2001-2003

Apologize for the fake grass. The wife had thrown this one in a scrapbook and I scanned it. This is one of the spillway bass during the spawn. 23 1/2 inches and full of eggs.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Good god that first pic is crazy!

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
usairforce22 said:
Matt, where can I find some of that fake grass? :lol:
I think Michael's is a good bet :p Hobby Lobby is not a bad fall back either :lol:

Clurican, that Saugeye was 28''s even and completely gorged on shad. This was a little before the Evergreen explosion and would of given the record a run for its money. In hinsight, I should of at least put it on the wall. It was an old fish and a PB I probably don't have too much chance of ever breaking. Hopefully there are a few more like her left in there for hockey.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Ahhhh, Argyle Lake!!! What memories. During my time at WIU I spent many days fishing, and many nights drinking out there. Used to get a floor from girls dorm, and floor from guys dorm, a keg or two, and head out for some fun----"Lakers". Actually met my wife out there! As far as the fishing, I got my personal best 7 lb. 6 oz. out of there in 1974---can you say old? As of a few years ago it was still the intramural fishing record. Had it mounted by some local guy who BUTCHERED it. It was a fun and pretty lake to fish, and it hasn't changed much based on the posts from this century. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I'm out at WIU right now studying Zoology and GIS and I made the mistake of not grabbing a rod when I was home for spring break. I don't have a car out here either so that makes it hard to get out to Argyle, but I should be coming home in a week or two and I'm definetely grabbing a rod for the last few weeks of school. The Lamoine flows right behind my dorm too, so I'll have to hit that up as well. There's some big bass and crappie in Argyle for sure though.
4Fishys, my dad went to WIU back in the day too and told me the same thing with the lakers, except he said sometimes they had "pig lakers" when girls were in short supply haha.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Powernfinesse,
Yea, you never knew what things were going to turn out like, but always managed to have a good time anyway. They don't allow that there anymore, do they?

I'm an old Thompson 6 guy for the first three, then off campus. I'm sure your dad has told you all his stories (yea, right---just like I've told my two all of mine!) How do you think we always know what's going on in your cagey minds? As I tell mine, I wasn't born bald and fat...lol.

As a point of curiosity, if you get by the intramural office (used to be in Western Hall, but I don't even think it's called that any more) I'd love to see if they still keep, and if I still hold that intramural fishing record. That and a few volleyball trophies from the first years of the team down there are all I have to hang on to.

Hope you're enjoying it in beautiful Macomb, and do try to get out to either there or Spring Lake....some good bass and crappies out there also.

·
Registered
589 Posts
As far as I know people don't do many lakers anymore, but the party scene is definetely alive and well. My dad and his buddy were thompson and higgins guys in 74-75(pretty sure) and I live in Higgins right now. Hell you might have even known him haha. I know my dad knew Jim Cresula from WBBM way back when too. I still love the fact that back then you could fill an elevator with beer cans and not get in much trouble (I think it was called Blatz beer), but they're a bit more strict now.
I'll try to stop by Western Hall and see if I can't get any information on that record. They have a fishing club out here, but I'm not currently a member. I'm waiting to get back home and do some fishing on the cooling lakes in all honesty. But like i said, I'll see what I can dig up on that record and get back to ya.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Graduated in 74, so I'm a bit older than your dad. Thought of another oldie that you can run by your dad....$1.00 pitchers at the Kings Castle! The good old days, where you could get real stupid for a couple of bucks. I'm sure the party scene is still going strong. It is on any campus anywhere. (O.K., here comes the wise old guy) Just make sure it takes second fiddle to the studies. It DOES make a difference later in life. Thanks for checking if you get a chance. You can PM me if it's easier.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I just stopped by the Intramural office and asked the girl in there if they had intramural fishing records and she said they did, but I'd have to wait for a certain woman to be there to go dust those off..... but atleast they have them! I'll keep ya up to date.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Thanks for the effort. Based on having to "dust them off". it doesn't seem like it gets much attention. Now you have a goal---knock me off if I'm still there so that you can be talking to someone 35 years from now about the good old days...lol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts