ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out Friday and Satruday to try for some bass with my brother. Started Friday morning out in Calumet Harbor throwing crankbaits. Landed 5 coho, lost another 5 and had a bunch of follows. Tried tubes and grubs and no luck for bass, the water temp was about 45. Headed into the river and went to Lake Calumet. Temp in Lake Cal was about 51. My brother got a nice 3.9lb largemouth on a crankbait and I got about a 5lb drum. I followed up with about a 1 1/4 lb white bass. We left to fish the bridges north of the lock and my brother hit 2 nice 6-7lb drum with a grub. Saturday I fished with a friend from NY and we just stayed in Lake Calumet until the rain started. He had 2 about 2lb largemouth on a crankbait, 1 drum and I got 1 maybe 6 inch largemouth. I got my butt kicked in the catching dept. We also stopped to fish the bridges by the lock and my buddy picked up a nice 2lb. smallie. Rain started to really pick up and we headed in. I hope you guys continue to post reports and not let those that are fishing these tournaments prevent the free sharing of useful information. I am not posting this to screw up someones chances for doing well in a T, but rather to let everyone know that there are some fish to be caught right now. So far not by me, but I'll get them sometime. Good luck and tight lines. Jeff Wolfe

G

·
not let those that are fishing these tournaments prevent the free sharing of useful information
Just curious...How do you imagine they (we, yes I'm one of THEM)) could "prevent" the sharing of info on this site?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bob Hicks on 2002-04-28 10:36 ]</font>

G

·
great report jeff, and i agree with everything you said, we need these reports
Just curious...How do you imagine they (we, yes I'm one of THEM)) could "prevent" the sharing of info on this site?
perchman ,i think the word he meant to say instead of "prevent", is whine. you guys whine when people post a report when a tournament is coming up, and people are spilling the beans where they've been catchin fish.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Today my partner and i went to calumet river and we caught nothing on river . So we decide to move up closer to lock and dam , finally we caught some dinks bass there by boat slips.
The windy was unbearable to fishing there but we handle it pretty good.

G

·
you guys whine when people post a report when a tournament is coming up
I think the word YOU meant to say instead of "YOU" is "THOSE", You have NEVER heard ME complain about the dissemination of information as it pertains to fishing in areas that might be fished by tournament fishermen, including areas that I fish myself, in fact I've taken heat for posting that kind of info...SO THERE Mr. Smarty-pants!

PS. perchmann has two N's, count'em...one...two, TWO N's, and the perchmann is still, and will remain DEAD (until further notice)

G

·
bob,
i stand corrected, i have never seen you complaining about fishing reports, i shouldn't have sterotyped you as one of the tournament whiners. sorry about the mispelling of your name.
like i have heard you say plenty of times before bob, you can tell someone the exact location, bait, and presentation you were using to catch smallmouth, and they can still go out there and get skunked,..... i mean,.... i can still get skunked!!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
"dissemination"
...and what is the opposite of that word?
"insemination"?
Just curious.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bassman on 2002-04-28 16:26 ]</font>

G

·
actually they can both be used for the same meaning "To Plant" funny world ain't it? the opposite of PRO is CON ...if PROgress means to move forward what then does CONgress mean?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Nice report! Sounds like you and your buddies had a good time. I just don't understand why you ended it by taking shots at people who, like me, fish tournaments! Anyway, I enjoyed reading your report.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Carlos R Ferrer on 2002-04-28 21:07 ]</font>

·
Registered
268 Posts
Aloha "Carlos R Ferrer",

In our recent past, several of the "people who fish tournaments", have voiced complaints about others posting information pertaining to a tournaments hot spots. Since that infomation is available to all, I don't see any reason for the complaints. The complaining has reduced the number and scope of those posts.

Since you have experiance with tournament rules, are there any restrictions on surfing the internet for info, prior to an event? What restrictions are there to prefishing an area?

·
Registered
197 Posts
amused, i don't think the reports have stopped due to complaints. the guys who post fishing reports, are not going to stop because of a little complaining. looking back through the previous posts, i see very few gripes, other than when ed bohn posted and that, had a different set of issue's. yes, i seem to remember that a ranger1, thinks that lake michigan is his private bass pond ("loose lips sinks ships"...yeeyah, whatever) i think it's just a matter of the weather and from the guys i've talked to (tournament and non) that have ventured out, have had a tough time of it...not worth a post, kinda day. for those guys who don't fish tournamants, that think tournament guys don't want to see fishing reports. it's my experience, from talking to them, that your only 25% right. meaning that, you and i may share 100% of our info, down to the exact spot. they'll do the same, up to, giving up their spots. also, they may have a "secret" bait or pattern, that they'll not want to divulge. otherwise their just fisherman like you and i, that have a little money riding on their knowledge. let's not make the L.M. bass board a tournament vs. non tournament board. get out of it what you will and help when you can. later. dave h
p.s i will take a stand on this, tournament guys DO NOT post enough, in regards to simply posting how things went and other non-locational issue's. everyone who uses 'this' board needs to go take a look at http://www.bronzeback.com/ on the left click on message board center, then the national message board. that's how this board could work, in a much smaller scale. it's a mix of probably 50/50 tournament to non-tournament anglers. nough said.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: skitterpop on 2002-04-29 00:41 ]</font>

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Man, some people are just touchy. I personally fish tournaments, not with CBT, but with another club. My comments were meant for the people who sent complaint e-mails to Ed Bohn about his post 2 weeks ago asking him not to share the information. I had a buddy coming in from NY and was trying to find some helpful info on what the bass were doing out on Lake Michigan and in the Cal river system. It was nice to see Ed's post and the success that he had and would have liked to have heard more success stories. I just didn't want to take my buddy out and get skunked. Anyway the last few lines of my post were not to bash tournament angler's, but to remind people that sharing information helps everyone become better anglers. Either by learning new techniques, patterns, locations, baits, or because by hearing about other angler's success' makes me try again or just a little harder if I had a tough time previously. I did not mean to offend anyone with my post. Good luck and tight lines. Jeff Wolfe

·
Registered
30 Posts
Jeff, I didn't take offense to your remarks, I was just curious as to why you made them. I have not posted any fishing reports because I never had my own boat. Thats all changed now! I finally got a new boat(actually used, but new to me) and I plan on using it on Lake Michigan once I get it sea worthy. Once I do go out, I plan on posting whatever I encountered that day. I for one don't feel I have a right to question other people's reports since I haven't posted any yet. My personal feelings is that a good Bass report with lures, locations, etc. are hard to come by. Maybe one day this will change.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Carlos, I hope you have some good luck when you do get out and this is not directed to anyone's specific comments, I just want to clarify some things. I don't EXPECT anyone to post anything that they don't want to (including "spots", baits, patterns, etc). I made that statement to let others know that just because a few people don't like to share their fishing info. (or give others crap when they do) doesn't mean everyone has to restrain from posting. There are a lot of places to catch fish out Lake Michigan and the connecting waters. Of course, the more information that people include gives everyone else some ideas (maybe some new ideas) on what to try next time they go out. I really enjoy reading the reports and posts on this board and I post when I have a report. Good luck and tight lines. Jeff Wolfe

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jeff Wolfe on 2002-04-29 16:51 ]</font>

·
Registered
11 Posts
Color me crazy...but how do I launch at(in) Lake Calumet...never heard of it...is it a nickname for a stretch of river?

Don't worry my well versed Tournament/nontournament/whining/nonwhining/ complaining/noncompaining fishermen (fisherwomen)...I probably won't pose a threat to your fishing...I couldn't get a bite if I was dipped in honey put in a nornet's nest!...I just want to get on the water!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.