ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As mentioned in another post here, I am breaking in my motor (a 225 ProXS) next weekend. I need 2 solid hours of running on plane.
I'd like to do it on a resonable size lake with virtually no obstructions (at least in mid lake).
Does Lake DuBay fit this description ?
Can anyone advise me of a lake near Wausau that fit's the bill.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Nowadays, most motors require very little for break-in. No long term idling and short bursts of medium and wide open throttle after a couple hours.

My outboards get run right out of the box. If it's gonna come apart, I want it to happen right away. Haven't had a problem yet. I've always thought of the break-in period as something to help cover the manufacturers butt's if something isn't right. They would much rather you bring the motor back with an abnormal noise that is repairable rather than have to replace a power head or lower unit that comes apart at 6000 rpm. ;)

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe I misstated....The Merc ProXS requires that for the first 2 hours, the motor be run with varying rpms. These rpm's need to change every 2 minutes.
With the SmartCraft system on the new motors, Merc can verify if proper break-in was followed. This impacts warranty. I have a 5 year warranty on this motor and want it valid.
I do not intend to run for 2 straight hours.
I merely want to get a bit of a jump on that break in by getting the thing wet next week.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Dubay is a flowage and like most of them in WI, they are filled with stump fields outside the old river channel. The whole WI River system is under some serious high water right now as well. If I were you, I'd run to Winnebago or Green Bay.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WALLY said:
Dubay is a flowage and like most of them in WI, they are filled with stump fields outside the old river channel. The whole WI River system is under some serious high water right now as well. If I were you, I'd run to Winnebago or Green Bay.

Hey thanks....that is what I figured and why I asked.
I have never been on Winnebago....is that fairly clear as long as I stay off shore a ways ?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Bago is 100,000 acres and even though I haven't explored it all, it's very clear of obstructions. Keep an eye on the wind too.
I read you just got a 620, congrats.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks....Yeah the 620 is great.....cannot wait to get on it.
Hoping the weater is good (warm). I am actually looking for a bit of wind. Wanna see how this bad-girl handles in some chop.

Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
166 Posts
It can be done on DuBay, but as stated the main channel is the only place I'd run a new boat. The Wisconsin River out of Bukolt Park in Stevens Point and north to the DuBay Dam is a good option (about 15 miles of main channel). Only problem is that the bouys aren't out yet if you don't know the channel. Also as mentioned, the river has been extremely high. The Biron Flowage of the Wisconsin River south of Stevens Point is also a good run as you can run all the way to Wisconsin Rapids. Best ramp there would be at Galecke Park.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All great info that is really appreciated guys. Mucho thanks.
Problem is I still have not gotten out. Brand new boat has sat for 1 month at my storage place. It has still never been in the water. It's killin' me.
Work comes first though .....at least for the time being. First tourney is on MilleLacs on May 17th. Then I have 6 weeks of vacation coming up, all to be taken this summer/fall !

Should be a great time .
Thanks again :)

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Coach....You mentioned the Biron Flowage. That might work real well. I have no experience with this stretch of water but it looks good on a map.
Is it clear of obstructions on the stretch you mentioned ? (Stevens Point to Wis Rapids).

·
Registered
144 Posts
break in

AAAV8OR this is just my personal opinion, but if i was gonna go break in a new motor in a new boat, i would go to a lake that have been on before, and know for sure about obstructions, im sure guys on here are giving you correct information, but if i was gonna go run a new 45,000 rig, i think i wouldnt be asking for others opinions, i would go based off personal facts

·
Registered
166 Posts
The Biron Flowage is a pretty straight shot to Rapids. As long as you stay in the main channel. You should be able to keep it in at least 5 feet of water. Going up river is a different story. I would also ask on lake-link.com. You might be able to get more detailed info from those guys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts