ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, I am going up to port Clinton this weekend for a guided walleye trip, first time. I was advised that the captain will have everything I need including rods n bait. So, seems easy to go just pack clothes n drive. Will I regret not having my own rod/ reell? Thanks for any info.

· Premium Member
1,508 Posts
_

Would hurt Kinkaid and why not Mo is my opinion. It doesn't cost anything to take a rod unless your going there and coming right back after the charter...

Take a few cranks and try casting from the shore here and there after and before your hired Charter. You just never know and if you have the time why not?

And by all means don't forget your CAMERAS. Take plenty of pics not just of the eyeballs hooked but Charter rig, Captain, surrounding scenery, restaurants, roads, interesting characters, sights etc etc.

When you get back post them and share, re live your experience with the thousands of CLF's that check in every few days.

Enjoy and have fun, be safe.. Enjoy hooking the most interesting fresh water species there is in the best body of water to get them out of. Congrats!

· Premium Member
4,385 Posts
You're probably trolling. But if you're casting then I would recommend bringing a rod. I did an Erie trip two years ago and I used the captains rods while drifting. They didn't have a decent setup amongst everything he had. The reels I used would dump line when you casted and get that loop caught. The bails would flip closed if you casted just a little too hard. Making me look like an idiot of course! Never again will I use the captains equipment unless it doesn't matter like trolling...

· Registered
1,352 Posts
I am heading to Erie this Thursday (june 4th and 5th)
We usually cast, so I like to bring my own equipment. As FishArt points out, you can usually rely on your own equipment, over some others. You can always use the captains lures and bait.

I recall one time a charter captain giving me some **** about my set-up (ugly rod, spinning reel more for bassing than walleye). Nice businessman, ripping his customers, arrogant *******. Needless to say, we don't use them anymore.

Anyways, I proceeded to catch the biggest 'Eye of the day. "Must be the rod" I told the captain.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I did bring some gear but didn't need it, we got up to Erie sat the 30 th in time for dinner and the Blackhawks game. Sunday, the seas were angry and Monday still rough n lake was chocolate
Milk. Our captain Dave Vargo said he wouldn't expect much action and good guy he is gave us deposit back, no use wasting time n cash, so we had a great breakfast n headed home. We will try again !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.