ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Launched at 4;15. Got to the 1st spot in 10 minutes. Water temp a hot 79 so I decided to only spend a short time in 17-20 feet of water .At 4;45 we got the 1st smallie,a nice 17 inch fish. Ten minutes later a nice solid 19 incher. Like a little football. We stayed there for about an hour and did not get another smallie.Went to spot #2 and had a small 14 "smallie on. We stayed till 9:15and left releasing4 smallies and losing one at the boat. We caught a lot of incidental rock bass, some of which were really huge. Only one blue gill. All fish were caught on a variety of baits, both live and artificial. Saw a ton of fish at 30-33' over 35-40' but they would not hit. Also saw a lot of fish at 22'-25',probably suspended gills. Looks like they were in a very defined thermocline. Water was clear but a little algae bloom going on and quite a few floating weeds from boaters tearing up the bottom. Maybe in a week or so the bluegills and pike will start.

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
The DOLLDRUMS are starting?

Seem that it might be a bit late for any concentrations of pike?

May is the KILLER month with those who have teeth. :)2

After 8:00am ya gotta go deeeeeeeeeep inthose weeds, beyomd the 30ft. mark. With a BIG juicy sucker. :)2

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually late July and August are banner months for pike at Lake Geneva. There is usually a very defined thermocline running out from Abbey harbor at about 30-35 feet. The pike are there in great numbers gorging on baitfish and bluegills.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Nice work! We've been on Delavan the past few weekends chasing walleye, time to switch gears and hit LG finally? Any of you guys ever get after walleye on LG? I am thinking of doing the night shift on Friday.

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good luck on the walleyes in Lake Geneva ! In a bazillion years fishing there I have gotten one wally... By mistake. I've seen guys get them at night coming in when I go out. And there are some niiice fish. But it's a super secret limited fishery and I doubt I will ever target them with any real results. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
anyone that catches them on a summer patterns are pretty tight lipped, that's for sure. No real numbers in the summer, but fish can be had. I'll post reports over the next few weeks. Been doing well on Delavan past two weekends, I guess "well" by Delavan standards is more like it.

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Like I said I never really targeted walleyes there. In the fall I do have good to great success with really nice smallies though. A great day is 10-12 fish with some shoulders. I love "Dem" smallies !

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
1.) Nice going Bob! 19" can put on a good battle, bet you had fun with that one.. What did it hit on? Top? Nevermind, I'll talk to you later. I want to go perching soon and will probably see you on the lakefront. Tks

2.) Only success I've ever had an Eyes on LG has been trolling four 6'' rapalas at night, all night.. When the early AM comes around I start on the smallies for a few hours prior to calling it a day. Tedious being up all night like that, then again you can sleep all you want when you die. Good luck, GO GET'M !

3.) I've hooked/landed some good pike there and have seen some VERY good size to a couple that got away..

Gooday!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts