ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished with a buddy and our two sons yesterday right by the islands (channel side) in around 12 FOW using waxies from around 11-3p. Didnt pick up anything til after 1:30p and the bite was real soft (had to watch the line like a hawk). Color didnt seem to matter (green, glow, orange, white all worked). All fish caught about a crank off the bottom, sometimes with a slow jig to cover more of the water column. Ended up with half a dozen gills and a crappie.

Alright, so there's my contribution but I'm really fishing for a little help. My buddy just movedto Lake Holiday so I can finally fish there. He doesn't usually like fishing, but had a good time last weekend and doesnt believe me when I tell him how good ice fishing can be. If I can guide him to a day with a few dozen slabs of crappie or gills I believe I may be able to gain a new convert to the fishing masses.

The problem is, I'm flying blind here. I can't find a lake map and have no idea where the hot spots are, or what the successful baits/tacics are for this lake. So, I will break man-code and ask for help from any seasoned Lake Holiday veterans.

We will be fishing next weekend sans kids (you should have seen him trying to get his 6 year old to hold his pole still, hilarious) and I will give another fishing report. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya, I wouldn't venture out there unless u have an ice hut (lookin a little windy). If I had more room in mine I'd ask u along. Our plan is the hut and some spirits ;). Last weekend we were fishing between the 2 islands on the lake side (not the beach side) where it starts to drop off into deeper water.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Narome, I've lived here in Lake Holiday for 15 years and I can tell you that yes the fishing can be good. Right now we are having trouble finding slabs but we have a ton of average fish. If you check with the office they should have maps of the lake available for I believe $1. We will be having our second ice fishing derby out of beach 2 on Sunday morning from 7-12 if you can get your resident buddy to fish with you. I can send you a flyer via email or check us out on Facebook, Lake Holiday Fishing Club. Had a real good turnout for the first one and it sounds like the same for this one and it really helps out the club in our efforts on the lake.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wilbur, thx for the info, will definitely check it out this weekend.

Goosefool1, u are my hero. I'll try to get him over to the office today. Idk if he'll go for the ice fishing tournament but i'll run it past him and check it out on facebook.

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
I always assumed Angel had moved away as she just kinda disappeared. I sold her her first tip ups she ever owned. Last time I saw her was on our charter boat. Goosefool, next time you see her, tell her Tubes says hello!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Still around guys. Still fishing with some of the first gear I got from you Tommy! Chris and I are still in Lake Holiday. Fish when we can. Ice is over a foot here. Crappies are few and far between. Good sized Gillies. No Walleyes....yet. Blu, I will PM you. Sorry about the emails. Don't ever open anything without a subject line from me. Havent had anyone say anything about it in a long time. Nice to know I havent been forgotten! ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Report from last week as promised;

Ended up fishing last Sunday. Tried to get in the derby but arrived an hour after it started :(. Just as well since we had to leave early to pick up his gf from work.

Anyways, fished the bay across from the island. Got a couple bluegills and a striper in 20 FOW. All off the bottom (1 crank up) off waxies on light colored jigs. Tried fishing w dead minnows, worms, and some sure fire crappie bait from Wal-Mart all with not a sniff. Also tried fishing different water levels without success.

Disclaimer; I have no depth finder or lake map (tried to get one but they were out). Also, ice fishing hut needs to be optomized for mobility (takes a lot of duct tape to keep it up) and I am using a manual auger. The result is that I guess where a good spot is, drill some holes, set up the tent once, and hope for the best. So, take my report with a grain of salt, lol. Actual fishing conditions may be markedly better.

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
Good the hear you're still around Angel! I kinda figured you moved out of there since we didn't hear from you anymore. I've had a couple of jobs out there in the past couple of years and drove by your house both times. I considered leaving my card on the door to see if you two still lived there but didn't. Well good hearing from you and if you ever want to wet a line, give me yell!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.