ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone is interested, I will be teaching a seminar on fishing lake michigan for trout and salmon from a kayak. It is on saturday april 12th at 1 pm at the Gander Moutain in Kenosha. Hope you guys can make it!!!

Rob Wendel

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All you need to do is show up. I also should mention that is is free. I look foward to meeting everyone.

Rob

·
Registered
30 Posts
I can't make the 12th. Please post again if you are hosting additional seminars at the Kenosha or Geneva, IL Gander Mtn. Thanks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry to hear you can not make it Red Kayak. I will let you know about the next one. I wouldnt mind doing another one of these at the Geneva Store as long as there enough interest with people.

I look foward to meeting everyone else on the 12th. Its time to get those yaks readying. As soon as the big pond settles down its time to catch some browns nice and close to shore. The water is still a bit churned up around kenosha right now.

I'm also looking to start a kayak fishing club so If youre interested pm me and i will start putting something together

Rob Wendel

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Kman thanks for the compliments Im glad you enjoyed it. It really was a great turn out, I wasnt sure of what to expect. I really enjoyed meeting everyone. Hopefully the water will settle down a bit and we can get out there and catch some fish. If anyone has any questions feel free to pm me here or email me at [email protected]

Rob Wendel

·
Registered
608 Posts
Kayak Fishing Club? Good idea!
Hope to get enough people then create a new club! Southern Wisconsin and Northern Illinois!
Maybe one Saturday day that all kayak fishermen (women) meet at one lake to learn something! I want to look at everyone's kayak then I would add something on my kayak! (will get it between 2 and 4 weeks)
Northern Illinois lake or free fishing weekend in southern Wisconsin in early June!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JCbankangler

I was thinking of having a coho outing in may. Most likely in kenosha because theres lots of areas to launch for free. I really would like to start a club, right now time is an issue with work so it might take a little time to really get rolling but for now a few outings are going to have to work. If anyone has any ideas or interest in an outing please let me know.

Rob

·
Registered
608 Posts
My kayak would not be good for out to Lake Michigan however maybe several other places like Sterling Lake near Wisconsin border, Busse Lake , Skokie Lagoons, and many more! Of course Lake Michigan for other Kayak anglers! Lets hear from other Kayak anglers to find out where to fish.........
Club should have several different places from nice size lakes up to Lake Michigan and maybe the Fox River above of the Fox Chain O Lakes!
For now is we take time and have fun to fish! Wait and see if any more kayak anglers suggest or interest in new club!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jcbankangler i would definately like to fish a plcae like sterling lake also. The reason i would like to have a coho outing is that it would be a nice follow up for everyone that was at the seminar. Any of those places would be great to fish. What kind of Kayak do you have? Also if you would like to help form the club with me that would be great. I can use all the help I can get!! feel free to email me or pm me if you would like to talk some more. IM getting anxious to get out and catch some fish last year i was altready trolling the beaches for brown trout about 4 times already. This year I havent been able to get out at all.

Rob

·
Registered
608 Posts
Yes, I understand that you want out Lake Michiigan from your speaker and hope that you get some kayak anglers out there!
I fish from shore for over 40 years and I do use boat but rare! I was hook on Kayak from 2007 Speical Issue Kayak Angler magazine and great book....The Complete Kayak Fisherman by Ric Burnley! It make sense that kayak would help me to reach that I can't reach from shore or so many miles of the Des Plaines River that I can't able to fish because of heavy woods, fallen trees and steep bank! I caught and released two bass over 10 lbs (26.25" and 25.5") from shore in Florida a month ago but I looked at my Florida Atlas & Gazetteer ......wow! So many lakes, canals and creeks! Would be nice that some day to use kayak in small canal for several miles until to a unfished 30 or 40 acres lake with lot of weeds, lily pads and alligators....BIG BASS! Large lakes in Florida get heavy bass fishing pressure so best thing to use kayak to fish where average boats can't reach!
I will get Malibu Mini X kayak within 2 to 4 weeks! I reseached many kind of kayak until I picked Malibu Mini X because I fish alone most of the time and I am 5 ft 8" and 150 lbs so I able to carry Mini X myself! Only 38 lbs! Its only 9 ft 3" but good width is 33.5" Also I main to fish is ponds, small lakes, creeks and slow moving river like Des Plaines and Rock River!
Will plan to add depth finder, rod holders, anchor, etc etc! That's why I like to join the club to learn something and see what other kayak anglers' kayak stuff!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
JCbankangler

Kayaks are a great way to get to places that are normally unreachable by foot or boat. They also add a great deal of stealth allowing you to catch more fish than boats. Ive had days where i outfished some of the big boats out on the lake in shallow water. Congratulations on those monster bass!! Some true trophies there. If you have any questions about rigging your kayak please feel free to ask. That Malibu looks like a great kayak. you could definatley use it for some of the near shore fishing on the big lake we do for staging kings if youre interested.

Red Kayak

A website is a great idea. Ive actually started one a couple weeks ago but my limited knowledge of making websites and my limited time has not allowed me to get a lot done with it. If anyone interested in the club would like to help out a little that would be great!!

Thanks for all your input guys! There has been some interest on another seminar for people who missed the last. The geneva gander has been suggested for the next location. What do you guys think? And you guys that were at the last seminar thanks for comming out. Any suggestions for things you think i missed or maybe talked more/less about?

Thanks guys

Rob Wendl

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hi All,
I bought a SOT last year and it's a blast! I'd love to get together somewhere this summer. I fish in a club as a non-boater so my time's a little tight this year for club level commitments but I'd love to do a trip. Sterling lake has been on my list.

I have a Native Mantaray 12(Yellow) with 3 rod holders, an anchor trolley, and a Humminbird 215.

Nick

·
Registered
608 Posts
Sticky........you have a nice kayak! Cool!

* Bass Pro Shop is also good place for speaker about kayak! Maybe we can get a booth in Bass Pro Shop in Big Spring Sale weekend in early March! Ask BPS manager to find out and they would like to help new club.......Bowfishing Club did that and the club grow very well!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Sticky........you have a nice kayak! Cool!

* Bass Pro Shop is also good place for speaker about kayak! Maybe we can get a booth in Bass Pro Shop in Big Spring Sale weekend in early March! Ask BPS manager to find out and they would like to help new club.......Bowfishing Club did that and the club grow very well!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts