ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just seeing if anybody has been to this Lake. I am going the first week of June. Went last year and had a tough time time fishin it. Any help would be great appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,109 Posts
Its a big lake where are you staying? I used to have a house at the southern end Elisabeth , and stopped at a bait shop on rt. 51 and allways got good info. The place where your going to stay schould be able to point you in the right direction too, or hire a guide.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Went last year, going about in 3 weeks. I go with a buddy who has fished the last 15 years down there. It's a yearly trip, sometimes twice. Tough lake to learn cause it is so big and deep and clear. Never been down there in the summer. What species are you going for? We fish for the striper at night usually and usually throw suspending baits that rattle and vibrate. In the summer I would say they are pretty deep. Bink's guide service is probably one of the better guys down there. My buddy has used him a bunch. Usually for us the best thing to do is find the shad and you find the fish. Vertical jigging using your electronics is also probably a great technique in the summer. I'll as my buddy and see if he knows anything else about summer time.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I just got back 3 weeks ago. we missed heavy rains by a day. Brought lake level up 17'. It'll take 2 months normal power plant generation to bring levels to normal. Don't worry it wont hurt bite.

I go there each spring to fish for stripers. Fish and Fiddle is an excellent resort as it is located midpoint of the lake. Modern, clean cabins with large dock in quiet cove. The owners are Striper finatics who fish and are active in stocking and fish management. If you need a guide try wwwstroutfitters.com

If you would like to discuss in detail send me pm with phone number.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We stay at Teal Point. Its nice to hear that others fish that lake on this site. I fish mostly for walleye. Its sort of a competion with the group that I go with. Now I have to find the fish. What is choice of lure's?

·
Registered
107 Posts
:-D Been going there for the last 22 years.....might not make it this year with 2 in college, work being slooow(construction),did I mention 2 kids in school.. :eek: Any way....stayed at Hummingbird hideaway..formally Blue Paradise...do good off the dock at night also(bass/white&large mouth...and crappie....plug in the crappie lights and hang out till you run out of beer 8:) .....do the striper thing in the early am... then crappie till afternoon ,go in to the pool,and dinner with the family ,then hit the dock till you can't handle it .. :)2 After a week of that , I'm good to go!!We always go in the middle of june after the kids are out of school,was hot as heck some weeks, some mild ...stayed at Three oaks one year , nice trolley ride to the dock...

Click picture for larger view

gone out with several guides, and had great success....two have retired and the rest are still at it .....little jealous of you, knowing we won't make the trip this summer... :evil: good luck and better yet..GOOD FISHING..
Crappie Professor <º))><

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice Fish! What technique or Lures or Bait do you use? I heard the lake is up 25 Feet now. It might mess up the fishin this summer.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hey firemntom,
usually go to artifical for the crappie during the day..tube jigs,size 2 mini mites... bobby garland crappie baits shine down there for some reason....hair jigs vertically jigged over the brush..minnows under slip bobbers also work well...top waters for the largemouth and kentucky bass (spotted bass) early in the day....also used flukes and live bait (netted lake shad) for strippers, large mouth,small mouth, long nose gar....everything down there loves the fresh shad...I guess that doesn't narrow it down for you..sorry...it seems to change a little every year..but the basic stuff will work for you ...the best advice I can give you if you can afford it...get a guide for half a day early in your trip and use what he shows you the rest of the week.....hard to say if it will still be that high (water) when you get there...worse we saw was about 26 feet high in mid june.... alot of new flooded shoreline made it tough..but the fish were tucked in the far reaches of the bays and creek arms..that year the dock bite was awesome all day ...some days the wife and kids did better at the dock than I did burnin' gas all morning...back to topic of lures..never did great for walleye ..always caught a few by accident with the minnows deep near brush piles....if you need a few numbers for shad or guides let me know..Teal point is right accros the street from Hummingbird Hideaway....your in one of the better locations on the lake for fishing access....talk to you soon
Crappie Professor <º))><

p.s. where you located ????to pass info...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the help let me know the guides that you used or now of. I might do that the first day.

·
Registered
655 Posts
...stayed at Three oaks one year , nice trolley ride to the dock... :)3

Crappie Professor; The trolley is what kept us from returning to 3 Oaks.
I weigh 240lbs and usually it would not take me up alone if rails were damp. 5-6 guys trying to get up that thing at night was a real challange.

I ran into the owner at a show, he said it was fixed and that he had sold resort to others.

3 Oaks had a wonderful view, clean cabins and close to stained water areas.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I used to stay at Echo Point, next dock north of Three Oaks. Same thing with the trolley back then. We could only use it for gear and then walk the steps. Down, not too bad .... Up after a long day on the water .... very bad. This was a long time ago in the 80's. Went for 13 years twice a year. Stripper fishery was just kick'n in. Crappies were much larger then also. Personal best 3 lbs 12 oz. Still one of my all time favorite lakes. Not the easiest to figure out, but when you do you'll hate to leave.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts