ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fishermen, I spent this past week fishing with my father at Lake of Egypt. A high pressure front on Monday made the fishing tough but we did catch a few bass later in the day on Senkos and spinnerbaits. Tuesday was very warm and windy. We did well with spinnerbaits and senkos by moving around a lot and looking for active fish. After talking to a couple of other bass fishermen, I felt pretty good about our results for the day.

Wednesday saw a 35 degree drop in the temperature and a strong 15 mi/hr north wind . I just "knew" that the bass fishing would be extremely tough. We fished for about 4 hours in sheltered areas out of the wind. I was using crawlers and roaches in an attempt to catch anything. Cold and frustrated, we decided to go have lunch and scout two other lakes.

Once we returned from our scouting trip, I decided to walk down to the launch. To my utter amazement, I saw a fisherman cleaning 3 18"-20" bass. He said he was angry that he had to release two 15" bass since they fell in the lake's slot. What a pity! He said he caught them on spinnerbaits on wind blown points and banks. I was shocked since I just "knew" that the bass would not chase a spinnerbait. Disgusted at myself, I quickly put the boat in and fished hard for the last 1.5 hours of the day. I did manage 2 15" bass which allowed me to sleep better.

What did I learn from the trip. 1) Never assume you know what the fish are doing. Check for yourself and try several techniques and areas. 2) Wind blown areas, while harder to fish, usually produce more fish than protected, calm areas. and 3) Always have a positive attitude and give 100%. Then, if you do not catch fish there is no second guessing. This is the hardest lesson I learned from the trip. Take Care. Paul

By the way, Water temp- 50-53 Water Clarity- Stained

·
Registered
592 Posts
I can't believe that people are still eating those quality sized fish, I consider it quite greedy myself.
You're right though, the windblown sides of most lakes are usually the right places to be fishing. I fish egypt and other Southern IL lakes quite often and have had many days where braving the wind proved successful. If I had a scanner I could post the pic of the 7lb 4oz LMB that I got at egypt in march while fishing a windblown side.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Was there over the weekend. That cold front really turned off the crappie. They pretty much had lock jaw until about 3 pm on Sat.
Only tried shallow to 10' of water.
Cooked some up later that night. Mmmmm Fresh!

Have any luck with the crappie?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.