ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well went out to lasalle to see if I could find some fish and I actually did. When I first got there I missed a big bowfin and was really upset I missed the first fish of the year and a bowfin on top of it. I have never shot one before. So I walked the banks for a while but to no avail. I was going to leave when I figured i check out one last spot. I saw a fish surfacing and shot and missed again. Then waiting for another to surface I saw a long black shdow swimming against the sandy bottom. I nailed my first bowfin. Its 24 inches long and one of the nastiest fish I have ever shot. I ended up missing 3 other bowfins until I nailed a 26 1/2 in. small mouth buff. I never saw the body just a big wake. All in all its starting to heat up out there and I plan to go as much as I can.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I am going to go back to the same spot tonight and this time I am going to bring a stringer. You know I forget one all the time but normally have something with me in my truck but not last night. I brought an extra arrow with me and shoved it through both fish and used it to carry them to the truck. This time I will be better prepared. There were bigger fish in there but I have to admit I was rusty at the aiming low thing.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Nice bowfin and buff. Never seen a bowfin in real life but would like to someday. Sounds like a mean fish. Sounds like it would be fun to bowfish for.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ushootwhat said:
Is river isle boat ramp open? Are these areas right across from river isle. How far are these areas from the state line ramp?
I go on the southside of the river east of river isle. I fish over by area 5 which is stateline road. Area 4 is about a half mile east from area 5. The stateline boat ramp is on the northside of the river but the bridge is out so you can't cross. There is a lot of good bowfishing between statline road and 41.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts