ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last minute decision to get out yesterday with Kirk paid off with a couple of firsts for my team. First off to get the day started properly I bumped a stump and went in with my osprey. The water temp was 58 degrees and luckily I had presence of mind to immediately search for my bow and on my first grab I felt the string and got it. I snapped off the foot of my reel but brought my new osprey as a back up, it got christened big time.

We stayed out for maybe 2 1/2 hours and shot 15 carp and 5 bowfin. We each shot our first bowfin and there were quite a few fish around. We shot area 3 and the water was lower than what I'm accustom to so we got the boat stuck a few times, thank god for push poles. Here's the pics:

Kirks 26 1/2" bowfin and a 24" common:

My 26" common and 23" bowfin:

We would have entered more but my camera batteries died, if you'll accept the big pic as proof Kirk had a 22" bowfin and 2 22" commons and I had two 22" bowfins, a 25" and a 24" common. Thanks

·
Registered
989 Posts
Since I am in the leads for Biggest bowfin I have to contest the clarity of the picture proving that this newly entered bowfin is really 26.5 inches long. :eek:

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Heck with it then, we'll just go kill a bigger one :p Seriously though, if the camera batteries didn't die I would have had more pics. The tail does go beyond the picture for a good inch or so at least. Last time I let the wife buy batteries.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I am just jealous. There are plenty other big bowfins out there at lasalle.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, like I said those are the first bowfins either one of us shot. They were thick last night, we missed a few more to boot including one that was bigger Kirks.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Nice shooting JP! :)2 I know what you mean about those stumps. I got my big boat stuck on one so bad I thought I would never get it off.

Since then I only take the jon boat out on area 3. Much easier to get off stumps!

I have yet to get a bowfin.

·
Registered
6,090 Posts
You have to be real careful in area 3 around the the road. There are cut sign posts that are just a few inches below the surface. Really tore up the skiff on one last year.

·
Registered
6,090 Posts
JP said:
Last minute decision to get out yesterday with Kirk paid off with a couple of firsts for my team. First off to get the day started properly I bumped a stump and went in with my osprey.
I think your the 3rd who went in the water at Lasalle due to the stumps! Jeff I believe went in last year, cant remember the other, its a hostile lake :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts