ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

LaSalle/Heidecke 4-4-08 {with pics}

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  backtroller17 
#1 ·
Took my boy out with me today to see what was biting at LaSalle. We were not disappointed :-D . Chunky smallmouth were feeding nicely , so much so that we ran out of minnows. My son and I {o.k. mostly my son} caught 10 nice sized smallies and another 10 or so that were 12" or less before we ran out of bait. We also caught 4 keeper yellow bass and only maybe 4 or 5 of those annoying 12" channels.

Here are 3 pics of my son's fish. We also lost two honest 18" smallies on the rocks because I ain't as nimble as I used to be and I got excited when I saw them.

================================================

After we left LaSalle, we decided to try Heidecke since it was on the way home. We got a good spot by the bridge, but after an hour or so, without a bite we decided to go home. We did hear that some boaters are catching a few walleye both early and late in the day.

See less See more
#5 ·
Heide

Good luck backtroller.

I was out there for five hours today and tried everything but dynamite. Nada, ziltch, squat, ate skunk.

I tried minnows on a bare hook, minnows on a jig, minnows in deep water, minnows in the rocks, nightcrawlers, with and w/out harness and spinners, casting , trolling, planer boards with SR5 and 7's, bee moth on the shore line for bluegill.....for anything. Still got nada. Water temps only 42-43 degrees, I think it's pretty cold for them.

Lotsa sunshine tomorrow, so I think I'll go for a motorcycle ride instead and hit LaSalle on Sunday with one of the forum members, Chris. At least at LaSalle, we'll catch fish and not so much skunk.

Greg, how did you guys do? I had to leave around 4:30 so couldn't stick around for the evening "bite".

Remember to tilt your outboard up before power loading. I didn't and so I chewed up the edges of my SS prop on the ramp.DUH!!

#8 ·
Lukan said:
You might have the future KVD there
Good work :)2
Today was his first day with a spincast reel. He did pretty good considering the 15 to 20 mph wind that was in his face. I remember my first day with an open-faced reel 30+ years ago... I had a hard time getting the hang of it.

#9 ·
Heidecke on saturday

Well I got out Saturday spent 6 hours on the water---only had one missed hit on a minnow ..drifted minnows and crawlers.......surface temps at 48 degrees ...still needs to warm up...I didnt see anyone catch a fish.....at least I got to try out the outboard(I had some work done on it last fall -it ran fatser than when I bought it new).no problem getting under the bridge at all.....if anyone is catching any ,let us all know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.