ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to CLF. Never been to lasalle but was wanting to try this year. I was reading old posts and came across some that talked about the plant being shut down and fishing not being as good in early spring.

Lasalle had their last outage for maintainance that ended approx Feb 28th.
How fast does the powerplant warm up the water, will 15 - 20 days of the plant back on track make the opening week good fishing?

Also from what I read large roaches on hook w/no weight or chicken livers on bottom while drifting best for stripers for blues and stripers?
Silver shad raps etc.
Is that correct?

I want to hook into some of those stripers.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks Matt

·
Registered
216 Posts
LaSalle cats and stripers

Sounds like you got the right info.
Chicken livers will catch stripers, whites, cats, yellow bass. I use 1/2-5/8" square chunks of sponge that is soaked in pureed chicken liver. The sponge doesn't come off the hook so I get a lot more hookups than if I just used chicken livers chunks. They'll snatch that off in a heartbeat.

And the shad raps around and over the the borrow pit on the arm before the hot discharge.

I'm going to try fishing around the end of the discharge as I usually catch smaller fish up in the discharge.

And, yes I think the lake should be warmed up enough in the northernmost arm to make it productive.

The water usually come out of the discharge pipes at about 85 degrees and goes back in the intake at about 50 degrees this time of the year.

At least that is what Collins station used to do at Heidecke when it was operating. Since LaSalle is a nuke with bigger generating capacity, it could be higher temps.

Will you be fishing from a boat?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Yes, just got a bass tracker last year. Before that we (me and my dad) just played around with a 12' jon boat at mazonia the k3river near warner bridge and SWSC. We are both members there. So all in all the cooling lakes are new to me besides the few trips I've gone with friends.

You say the borrow pit? What do or where do you mean? I'm not familiar with that term.

Thanks

·
Registered
216 Posts
LaSalle Borrow pits

The term "borrow pit" refers to the holes left in the lake bottom when the operators building the dikes around the lake dug the dirt and placed it on the edges to form the containment berms.

Technically they "borrowed" the dirt from the interior of the lake. There are numerous of these in the lake. Usually 45-60 ft. deep and some are large and some are smaller. They are well documented on the Outdoor magazine maps. The maps are waterproof, show more detail than other maps and are reasonably priced.

With the map and any old depthfinder, you can locate these holes. The blues and bigger stripers like to suspend over these holes so dragging a large crankbait over the edges of these holes will get you bit.

You can cast the shoreline for smallies and catch white bass or striper, largemouth, bluegill. Used to have some great walleye in there but a few crazy hot summers a while back killed them off. I haven't heard of a walleye coming out of there in years. Has any of the other readers??

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again for the info. I'll definately pick up the map for lasalle lake. With all the old posts about stripers and blues it sounds as though by following these techniques its only a matter of time before I will be able to hook into some.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Chicken Breasts! Yummy!

Fella's........... listen.

Chicken livers do work well for hybrids and blues. But......chicken livers have a problem staying on the hook after they are thawed. Try marinating chicken BREASTS in with a lb of livers, and some garlic, and a little salt and pepper.......I know. Smells good enough to eat. Yum, right? If your in a boat troll around till u see these huge suspended marks on your graph. Once u find them, anchor and cast suspended on a big slip bobber, a HALF OF A BREAST ON A 8ott hook! Usually down about 8-9 feet. See what happens. If nothing...forget this post....BUT........if it does work......OH BABY! Just my 2 cents. The opener is just around the corner and I know as well as any of you...IM ITCHIN 2 B FISHIN. Good luck. The blue cats (3-19lbs ave.8lbs) will thank U!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I live just a few miles from the lake, outage seems to be wrapping up. The lake is steaming pretty good but not as much as one would like.
It should be getting nice and warm here sometime soon, the warmer weather wont hurt it eather.
I like what I hear of this chicken idea.............

Lasalle does run a little warmer than most cooling lakes, I seem to remember reading the average depth is less, or the cubic feet of water is smaller than most cooling lakes. I have been on it when the outlet is reading 91 degrees in march, and the air temp was about 20.
See you sat!

·
Registered
216 Posts
chicken breasts and catfish

OK Bielick,

I just tried what you said. Not fished them yet, but! I have cutup some chicken breasts, put in garlic salt, and Louisiana hot sauce, and some Lawry's seasoned salt.

I used my steak tenderizer and drove that stuff into the breasts real well, then I put it in a seal-a meal and vacuumed it shut and sealed it. That should let it get into the meat somewhat. I will try it later on this week or next and let everyone know how well it worked out. I didn't have chicken livers to puree and mix in with the mess, but I can always have some in the boat and let the chicken soak in them for a while before I pitch'em in, right?

·
Registered
407 Posts
outage? Man!

Illinois has most of it's electricity powered by nuclrear. LaSalle is always running. Outage? Did I miss something? This water is in the 60's to 80's before Heidecke, or others even open. Outage smoutage. If they aren't generation at LaSalle, then noone must be using any electricuty in Illinois this winter.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Powerhouse outtages

I'm a pipefitter who helped build Braidwood, LaSalle, Dresden, and Zion nuclear powerhouses. Zion is now shut down and mothballed, but Braidwood, LaSalle, and Dresden are all pumping away.

Each of them are shutdown for a month or more at a time for fuel rod replacements. Each units has two generating units consisting different kind of reactors. I'm not looking to give lessons on nuclear generating here, just some facts about why they are shut down each year.

Excelon (formerly Com Ed) shuts them down one at a time, consecutively so as not to run the area low on electricity and they do the fuel rod replacement in the fall and winter when public consumption is at it lowest.

Sometimes if the maintenance schedule calls for it, the whole plant will be shut down while the work is being done, otherwise, they'll do one unit at a time in the same powerhouse.

So, yes, the powerhouses are shut down for short periods of time for maintenance. Sometimes for long periods if their safety systems need major repair. This is why NOT ONE person has died in the US because of a nuclear accident in our powerhouses to date. Dr's kill over 108,000 per YEAR but nuclear generating stations have never killed one.

Anyone talking about contamination in the water from the powerhouses have never been exposed to their safety systems. If the nuclear safety systems were applied to streets and highways, you'd never drive over thirty MPH, you'd have a five point safety harness on every person in the car, you'd all be wearing protective foam rubber suits, full face helmets, and have safety bags covering you from all angles.......and have to go through a pre-drive drivers test before they let you drive. and then you'd be monitored on the drive by four people whose job it was just to make sure you followed every procedure to the letter.

During your drive, you'd have to fill out page after page of procedures that you did each step of the way. This is not an exaggeration at all as any one who has been there can tell you. They leave absolutely nothing to chance.

So please stop the talk about contamination in the water. The water that you are fishing in never comes in contact with any radiation sources. It is only circulated around cooling devices through which the radiated water passes. When they have a little spill of contaminated water in the plant of radiated water, they HAVE to make a report to the NRC or else and maybe anyway, face a fine of thousands of dollars. Failure to report such spills can cause a station to lose it's nuclear license, so they are all reported.

Enough soapboxing,

Eat your fish and enjoy the fishing experience.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Nice, I like that. I have to agree with him. I am the son of a Retired Millwright who built, and maintained many turbines, Including Lasalle station.
They do not mess around out there, and I just laugh at people making nuke jokes (three eyed fish, glowing fish ect ect,) if ignorance is truely bliss we sure live in a blissful place!

I dont here any farming jokes, even though from what I have read many of the long term contaminants that are not natural are from fertilizers used in the 70's and 80's??????

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have worked several of the outages in the past the most recent was braidwood in october.
I wasn't sure whether lasalle had 2 generating units like braidwood or just one. If it has only one then the water would be cooler.

For a full schedule of 2008 outages visit:

http://nukework.com/outage.htm
-----------------------------------------

This is the outage schedule for all nuke plants in illinois so if you happen to fish them depending when you go, the water could be a little cooler.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also just wanted to say that during these outages, as stated above, I personally do not believe there could be stricter rules. In average of a 12 hour day you get about as much work done that you could normally do in two hours at any other job because of having all the inspections and signatures needed for every little step you do. :lol:

I am an electrician and just to give you an example, in changing a few relays for a valve here's kind of how a day would go:

Get there at 06:30 wait till 8 to get morning briefing.

08:30 go to assess job an point out hazards and get plan of how job will be performed

09:30 Break

10:00 Get tools for job.

By the time you sign for those lunch time.

1:00 Remove cover ( 4 screws) sign off.
Remove terminal one by one and sign off for each.

By the way after you sign off on each step you then need to hand off to partner to verify you did the correct step.

3:00 Break time

4:00 Wait for Exelon official to sign off on hold point so he can make sure you are doing this correctly.

Time to go home at 6:30 and not quite finished with one relay that in essence would take 20 minutes at most on any other job.

Talk about an easy day. :lol:

But now I know why my electric bill is so much! :evil:

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
dncncwboy, when you put the chicken livers on, are you using a single hook or a treble. I will have to try that this year.

·
Registered
75 Posts
To dcncwboy56......

dncncwboy56......

Yes. When you thaw the chicken breasts out put in your lb of chicken liver and mix it up real good. Let it sit for at least a day so all that blood gets into the breasts. The closer you fish to (actually in) the discharge the better. In the "tube" as I call it where the warm water comes out. The farthest north shoreline. Put your graph on and look for the schools of the bigger marks of fish. Usually the depth is around 14 feet or so. Big slip bobber down about 7-9 feet. If they are there, it will take no longer than a couple of minutes. I use a big 8 ott circle hook. 7 foot medium rod. Level wind real. 15lb test yellow mono so I can see the line. I also use my bait clicker on the reals. I will be out during the week, I won't even attempt this weekend, it will be nuts. Good luck and post to let me know how u did. Old beef from your freezer works good too.

·
Registered
216 Posts
LaSalle and chicken livers

Doing a dual answer here.

Braidwood, La Salle and Byron all have two reactors (units). Dresden has three, but one has been decommissioned for many years now, before the '80s.

Generally they will shut down one unit at a time so as not to lose too much generating capacity.

And about the chicken livers, I usually use a single #4 hook. But it is easier to keep the liver on with a treble hook. I usually precut my livers into pieces no more than 1" square. "Course if your going for the blues around the borrow pit, which we'll be doing Sunday, I'll be using a much larger hook. Probably a 1/0 or so. And much larger chunks of bait.

And I'm spooled up with 30# test power pro. I don't want to take all the fun out of the fight, nor do I want to NOT be able to slow those freight trains down either.

If ya see a red Hydrasport trolling by, give us a wave.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts