ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From all of the recent posts, this sounds like a very interesting place to fish. Rocky shores, warm water discharge, and stripers. Is there any way to shore fish it, and are there more productive areas than others? Any help would be appreciated.

Marty

·
Registered
63 Posts
it's definitely shore fishable, try to walk/bike as close to warm water as possible (which is on the north end, parking is on the south end) would be my suggestion. And if i were you i would bring a bike and light tackle cuz its a hike.

·
Registered
149 Posts
be sure to stretch well before the ride. it's like 4 miles to the warm water. if it's windy the ride can kinda suck. but it's TOTALLY worth it to have a bike.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I walked to the spot where I caught my LM on Thursday. I made it about 2/3 of the way to the discharge. Definately a hike with a pulled calf muscle from a couple days before. Next time I go I'm bringing a bike, or a buddy with a boat! :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
It used to be great when Chiuck would give everyone a truck ride to the hot side for a couple bucks. Now a bike really is mandatory if you want to fish the hot side. One day on my bike I put 11 miles so walking is not really an option if you elect to go that far.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I wish Chuck would come back. I know I can use the bike ride to keep in shape, but on opening day, at about marker 80, I thought my heart was going to explode. I made it around the corner, but the hot side is just too far away for me. I was amazed at the # of people that actually headed to the dike, both on foot and by bike, that is one heck of a trek.

I did see a guy walking back on opening day with what looked to me like a 30 or 40lb cat, it was probably 40" long or better. he looked tired but had a big smile on his face.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
I definitely agree that a bike is a good idea. It's too far to walk and carry all your gear.

Also, watch out for nesting geese. They are mean and do not hesitate to defend their nest against anyone who comes near.

·
Registered
114 Posts
3/26/08 Lasalle Lake

As of a spur of the moment decision, I deceided to go to Lasalle lake, instead of Braidwood.I thought it would be a easy bike ride to the warmer water...OH how I was wrong...well I never made it past the 66 marker.Just going that far made my legs feel like wet noodles. I did catch the usual smaller catfish,a few smaller stripers on cutbait.I did manage a few bluegills with a couple good ones(7"-8").I missed a real nice bass about 15"-17" hooked on a 1/64th oz jig and twister. 1 10" smallie. All said I think it was a good day.

·
Registered
67 Posts
i have never fished there before if was to go thwere and shore fish should i get right up to the hot side? what are good baits to be throwin for the stripers and cats?ive seen that every one catches them on cranks off boats. well any advice would be nice thanks guys
timmy
p.s.
any one ever need some one to fill the back of there boat i am your guy haha thanks

·
Registered
272 Posts
The hot side is like 3-4 mile from where you parked your car(marker 160+), it is a long ride and the road is all gravel. You need to keep paddling and it is not easy if you carrying a lot of gear. here is a map for lasalle from DNR:

http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt/PD ... asalle.pdf

it all depends on the weather. if the weather gets warm stay on the cool side. I went out there four times last year and saw two big blue cats landed from shore before marker 40. Both of the cat were 15 lb+ fish, so don't forget to bring a landing net. Cut bait, shrimp, chicken livers and cranks are all good bait to try.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Legend you need to get your head checked cause theres 6 fish that should still be swimming in your pictures theres no meat in the small ones thank god your shore fisnhing cause id hate to see what else you would keep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
according to legend's posts, the first picture was from the openning day. On that day he said he and his friend caught over 20 stripe bass. You only saw 16 from the picture. The second picture was from the second outing. he said they caught 9 17"+ striper, he only kept 6 and the other was released. Sometime the fish might be badly hooked. Instead of putting the dead fish back into the lake, why not keeping it?

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
let's not start the same old arguments... There are laws for a reason, if they are following them the let alone, or pose your point of view in a non-confrontational way.

Besides that, I would estimate that people keep less fish in total now than were kept in the past. I think that if we really think about why fishing isn't what it used to be it has more to do with the other ways we abuse our waters than how many fish we keep.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I am no expert, but them 6 fish that are smaller than the rest look like yellow bass. Any 1 have a good estimate on how many there might be in a 2000 acre lake? :eek: Far too many to gripe if someone keeps a few for the pan ! My mother in law could eat them by herself,,,, I wont tell ya how many I kept last week, but it is infact enough for a family of 5. And I am quite certain there will more of the same next yr and the year after that. Them are not smallies,,, they are yellow bass! Just had to add my 2 cents. Good fishin...........

1 - 20 of 62 Posts