ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was using a mini mite with a small gulp grub (dont waste your time with wax worms they are more expense) with a slip bobber about 8 inches from jig reeling in very slowly about 5 feet from shore and was hitting crappie on every cast. All were about 5-8 inches, but it was fun.

This is the time to go crappie hunting for the slabs. Keep a jar of Gulp grubs and some mini mites jigs, slip boober and 4-6 pound test and you are ready for action. The previous posters are correct, only a small window of time for the slabs, after that it is potato chip action.

·
Registered
174 Posts
It's great to hear that you found some!

I was out yesterday at SWSC near mazonia from about 11 to 3:30 and nada. :cry: Out there it seems that usually after 4:30 until the sun starts getting low they hit early on. The water was 49 F still a little cold I think.

What time did they start to hit? Were you fishing any structure? Were you casting parallel to the shore and reeling in or just casting out and then they hit about 5ft off?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was casting out about 10 feet reeling it in and jigging it slowly and at about 5 feet from shore they hit. It was 1 hour before sundown. I was fishing the NW corner of a shallow city park pond which warms up rapidly with some sunshine. The fish were very cold when I was releasing them so the water is probaly right around 50. This was my first outing of the season. I will be on the hunt for the slabs this weekend. This pond has quantity but I have never caught more than a couple of slabs in several years of fishing at this pond but it does have constant action. :p

The ones that give up the slabs in the area are hit and miss , you have to be there when the bite is on or else you would never think they have any crappies in them. Now is that time to check out your local ponds for the crappies. They are like ghost, now u see em, now u dont :eek:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I braved the wind at a fishery in Libertyville and pulled out 2 beautiful crappie. (10 inch variety)I love these fish. Also caught 2 smaller than not LMB. All in the same spot, branches providing cover near 3-4 feet from shore.

Wrobin are there some decent 'public' waters in actual Mundelein itself producing these fish? ...I know ...I know ..everyone's favorite question. :)
Just curious as its my backyard so perhaps I need to investigate more ponds as opposed to leaving the city limits.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Without giving specifics, go to whatever town you are interested in and go there website and view the city parks page, a lot of city parks have ponds in them, mundelein has four, all public, all have fish (northerns, channel cats, crappies, bluegill, etc.) in them. Then you can use google map to get an aerial view of the lake with directions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts