ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone that has "fabricated" their own livewell? I have a older johnboat and have thought about entering a bass tourney but worry about keeping bass healthy 'til weigh-ins. Would a "home-made" livewell be acceptable for local tournaments?

·
Registered
268 Posts
As long as your catch is still alive at weigh-in you'll be OK.

Fabricated as in "from scratch"? Heli-arc'g sheets of "Al" together? Cabela's and BassPro have Marine and Salt Water catalogs where you can mix and match pre-made plastic parts.

One of the boat builders (can't remember who) did an in-house study years ago, that proved stern bait/live wells kept fish better than bow placements. The additional pounding in heavy wave action made a difference.

I use a wheeled Colman Xtreme as a bait bucket in the Sea Kelp II (canoe). One wet, w/drain, and one dry compartment. Added a bubbler. Keeps minnows cold and lively for days.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a made livewell in my batom boat. I took a full size cooler and bought an aerater for it. You can buy them at walmart for not that much money ( buy the one with the round base and a rod sticking up, we've had a couple and these work the best). All you do is stick it in the livewell with the suction cups on the bottom and the two battery wires come out of the cooler to your battery. I drilled a hole in the top front of my cooler and ran the wires out there to a toggle switch so I can turn it on and off easily. Feel free to mail me if you have any other questions I could answer. Good fishing

·
Registered
315 Posts
I fish the walmart bfl league. Your homemade live well would not pass there. You must have 2 wells big enough to keep 5 fish each alive. It must be pumping water in as you go through check in. You can not mix your fish in one tank. Smaller tourneys may be more leanient. It should be in there rule book. I would ask before signing up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys! It's good to know there is an option. Bad to know it wouldn't be acceptable in tournaments. I would have room for one cooler/livewell but not two. Oh well...I guess the answer is to buy a new boat!...if i could only convince the wife?!?!?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.