ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried my hand at a local trolling motor only lake. Had to get wet to put the boat in and out but it is not so bad when it is almost 80 degrees out ;) A couple subscribers had given me some great tips for this body of water and I was anxious to try them out. Water temps at the ramp where 54 degrees. The wind put me at a nice drift and I fancasted chatterbaits looking for new weed growth. Finding that was no problem, but getting bit was. As I drifted I noticed the water getting warmer and near the NW corner the temp hit 60 and that is where I caught the first fish. Ended up with 5 fish total, 3 on chatterbaits and 2 on a rattletrap. Not much size to speak of, but I did have a 4lber throw a chatterbait at the boat. Thanks for that location Fishin D, because that is exactly where the big girl came out of. The highest water temp I found was 63 which really suprised me. A 9 degree difference is pretty crazy to me and I think the fish were a little confused as well. Time to clean up the boat and get it ready for the WI Opener in 2 weeks ;)

-I'll upload the one pic I took later. I have not looked at it yet, but hopefully I at least made the dink look like a 2 lber :p

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Matt,

Good report. That sucks about the 4lber, but you did better than me this week :lol:

·
Registered
489 Posts
You are most welcome! Thanks for the invite, wish I could have gone with ya. :)2

A White Sox fan would have gotten that bass into the boat! ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: Glad my tip panned out for you! Ed and I have caught quite a few out of there! I must also admit, that spot was shown to me a few years ago by a fellow CLF'er! I've kep it mum until this year. Now that you and Ed know, I feel that I have done my duty, and will tell no more..... :p

Next time you go out, give me a shout, and I'll tell you where there is a very defined creek channel..... ;)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Matt, nice job on the fish. Just a perfect day to be out on a boat.
Defined creek channel? I agree. That thing drops off to 12 FOW right next to the shore and shallow again not too far out.
We were lucky enough to find that two weeks ago.
That's where I got my 19er, and I must say that lake is something else.
I never seen quality like that out of such a small lake.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm pretty sure I found the channel as well, but since I did not fish the entire lake, I am not positive. I did try the spot you told me about Rich (might be the creek channel) but there was nothing going on there yesterday. I talked to another boat who was working the area all evening and he said he got the ole skunk. Next time Fishin D, next time. Maybe even a White Sox fan can teach me a thing or two :p

I did not succeed in making this runt look like a 2lber but my calf is so close to the camera it could be mistaken for Lebron James (well almost)

Maybe I should stick to the shore. Got this one tonight right before the rain came.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts