ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading the post prior to this about equipment... which is an investment I'll have to pick up here and there... including a baitcasting reel (any recomendations????)

But I've never caught a musky, nor tried to, nor been in an area where they probably exist. I'm a back stream trout fisherman, and I like to go for small mouth and large mouth.

I don't have a boat, I'm just a guy who keeps his tackle box and rods in the car at all times. Are there any places a guy without a boat can go Musky fishing around Northern IL? I'm from Aurora, so anything around there would be great, but I travel with work throughout the suburbs all week.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
From Bass Pro you can buy a Pete Mania series musky combo for a pretty good price. Comes with a great warranty too. I striped the gears on one after getting my finger caught in there (OUCH!!!) and Bass Pro just exchanged it for me.

As far as places to fish from shore by you... If your in Aurora, there are Musky in the river by you. I have never fished Musky in the river, but there are fish caught every year below the dams.

Also, Shabbona has a good musky population that is accessible from shore. I have only shore fished for Bass on Shabb, but I have seen several musky while bass fishing there from shore.

But musky fishing from shore is absolutely possible. I fish down at lake Evergreen north of Bloomington from shore for Musky and I have gotten a number of fish.

Good Luck!! :)2

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Yak Man! -- good info. I almost will feel silly throwing in larger lures into those dam spots, but I won't feel silly if I hook into anything like a musky!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts