ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help- I hit a stump with my 1990 Johnson 60hp. (st. steel prop). Killed the engine. Started it up and it wouldn't push the boat. Sounded like I busted up the gears. Got boat out of water, put in gear and turned the prop by hand (it turns with force and sounds like it's grinding). Should I start by pulling it apart? any advice? Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
55 Posts
I did that on a rental with a 40horse. Exact same thing. I'm no mechanic but It set me back about 1500 bucks. (The boat place didn't offer insurance).

DC

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Doubt that a 60 horse has a shear pin expecially a Stainless Steel prop, if anything it would have a rubber prop hub. Which sometimes will wear out before the lower unit loses its gears.

In your case though, if you can put the tranny in gear and the prop spins maybe a rattle inside too....then your lower unit is damaged.

If the hub is spun, you can turn the prop but the shaft its on won't spin when in gear. Hope that is what it is.

·
Premium Member
2,109 Posts
Take the prop off and look at the spline , if its not stright , its insde, then you'll have to drop the lower unit and see. I tore mine up in Canada, a 150 evenrude, and it cost me or my insurance co. $5800.00. had to replace the shaft and spline inside the lower unit.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Chances are you will need a complete lower unit rebuild. Or, you can look around and maybe find a used one, cheaper.

·
Registered
518 Posts
tore my 150 johnson up in canada twice! the 1st time I paid a deductable, the 2nd time it cost me $2700 and when they fixed it they tightened the water pump gasket too tight warping it causing my engint to score 3 cylinders,the dealer came up up the money to overhaul my engine,lost the use of the boat for most of the
'06 season

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your replies. now I'm depressed. I'll pull it apart tomorrow but I might need some lube to ease the pain when I'm done. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,109 Posts
If your going to drop the lower unit, might as well replace the impeller in the water pump too.

·
Registered
91 Posts
That lower unit doesn't come apart all that easy. Have you done it on that motor before? If you have, great!! I am by no means a Johnson mechanic, but I've taken a couple of those apart. I'd be glad to try to answer questions about it, but again, I'm just a guy who has been into his own.

Good Luck!!

JT

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone. JT- no I have not pulled this one apart before. I have pulled apart an older Merc. before. Guess I'll just have to get into it and see what happens and ask questions along the way. You guys on this site are the greatest, I appreciate all the help.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got it all apart now. It was a pain pulling it apart, but the damage is not as bad as I thought it would be. Need to replace the Pinion gear off the drive shaft, seals, bearings, and replace the impeller. Parts cost a less than $200. Now I just have to wait for them to be delivered.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts