ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to be staying near mall of america in Minnesota for a few days starting tomoprrow. Thought I'd take some gear along and do some fishing after work and before dark. Any suggestions on areas? Never been there, so some ideas on where and how to get there would be appreciated. Can't wander too far from the area and make it worth the trip for the few hours I will have. Leaving Tuesday morning. Sorry for the short time frame to reply, but just found out today that I was going. Any info. would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
11,722 Posts
Ah, heading to the area of my birth. :)
Right near the mall you have the Minnesota River and Long Meadow Lake.
The Long Meadow Lake area is a wildlife refuge.
It's arunoff area but you should be able to find fish.
Here's alink about the refuge.
http://midwest.fws.gov/MinnesotaValley/long_meadow.html

There are lakes and ponds all over though so I would ask anybody you meet up there where you should go and I'm sure they'll help you out.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Just a very short drive to the northwest of the mall are a couple very fine lakes. Lake Harriet is an excellent walleye producer as well as sunfish.
Lake Calhoun is known for its large and plentiful largemouth bass and sunfish also. Both lakes have easy access for the fisherman and both have fishing piers if your without a boat. Lake Calhoun has boat and canoe rentals but I believe a shore fisherman can do just fine on either of the two lakes.

·
Premium Member
11,722 Posts
I read a report that the ice was off on Lake Minnetonka.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Lake Minnetonka is the lake I would suggest. I fished a 4 day B.A.S.S. pro/am on the Lake and it is loaded with bass. I know for a fact > it is NOW a tremendous Muskie/Musky factory. All the Pro sport stars live on this chain of lakes. HUGE Houses with alot of old chris craft boats.Give it a try. Roy

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all for the replies. Just got back and didn't see them before leaving, so maybe they will help someone else. I asked around in a Gander store, and with the time I had they sent me to a little lake called Brush Lake. Small enough, and easy to walk most of it. Fishing a few hours Wed. and Thurs. night I did OK on bluegill. Probably 75 fish with a lot of 5-6 " and enough7-8 " to keep it interesting. Weather was great, and it was nice to spend a few hours. Thanks again for the responses.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Minnesota fishing is not open yet.....another week to go....May 10.
DNR will bust you big time. They are SERIOUS about their fishin'

·
Registered
1 Posts
Me and my daughter want to go to mall of America in August, my husband and daughters boyfriend want to fish. In order to get the ok to go, I need to have fishing areas close by the mall so everyone gets thier wishes. Please help so I can start planning.
Thanks,Criss

1 - 9 of 9 Posts