ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I get my boat repaired and in shape to come up to LM, I know I'm gonna have to get a radio for safety on the pond. What are the differences between marine radios and a regular cb radio? Does one transmit farther than the other? Do they operate on different channels? What should I plan to buy, being of limited budget, but not wanting to sacrifice safety? Thanks to all who can reply.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Aloha "Bigguy",

CB is for talking to truckers and is limited to 5 watts. Marine is limited to 25 watts and is monitored by the Coast Guard and boat towing services.

Both are pretty much limited to line of sight (not counting atmospheric bounce).

8 ft is considered the standard for marine antenna lenght. If'n you got a smaller boat that rolls in the waves, don't bother with an antenna sporting more than 3db of gain. The higher gains flatten out the signal for farther reception which is great on calm water or for a large stable boat, but, if your boat is a rock'in, the signal will be sent straight into to water during a heavy sea (when you would need it the most). Kind of like a spotlight vs a running light.

Good Luck

G

·
YA USE A CB RADIO ON THE BIG LAKE.THE BOATS ON THE LAKE USE CH.19 ALL THE TIME..I THINK YOU HAVE NO BUSSINESS ON THE WATER FOR QUESTIONS LIKE THAT...DONT FORGET YOUR PLUG.JUST LEAVE IT HOME YOU DONT NEED IT...

·
Registered
81 Posts
I hope your attitude is not serious. This message board is a great resource for people such as myself who didn't grow up around LM. The true sportsmen (and sportswomen) that visit this page are here to help one another out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts