ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok....here is what happened....I just picked up my new 2008 Ranger 620 and the dealer screwed up. He ordered a MinnKota Terrova instead of what I told him to order which was a MinnKota Maxxum Pro.
He got the size right (36 volt; 101#)
There are goods and bads with each but I'd love some opinions from guys using the Terrova. Has it been OK ?

FYI....I did not make a big issue of this and stuck with the Terrova. I figure if I hate it, I'll put it up for sale here and buy a Maxxum.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah....but they'd likely be covered by the Maxxum mount. Plus....I'd have them filled in with glass patch. I don't think that would be a big issue . (I emphasis THINK).

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
now that i have the maxxum, I would never go back to anything other, i LOVE the gas assist. The thing I hated about the terrova was stowing/deploying

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks.....my concerns exactly. I used to love the old "yank the rope" stow and deploy. It was primitive but it worked. (Had it on 2 prior boats). The Terrova does indeed have autopilot, but I really did not care much.
I don't know whether to create an issue with Ranger or not. I have documentation that I ordered the Maxxum Pro. Dealer messed up. He also messed up the mount on my Lowrance LCX38. I asked for it flush mounted at the console....it came RAM mounted up top.
:eek:
It's time to fish I guess......let the gear do it's job.

·
Registered
321 Posts
If it were me and a very large investment like that, it'd better be darn near perfect! When you first posted the trolling motor issue I thought it might not be too terrible. Although that's more because I love my Power Drive with Auto Pilot and Co-Pilot remote. I love to upgrade to a Terrova that is supposed to be an improvement in every way. It's a great trolling motor if you do more than just fish shoreline from the front of the boat. Even then, the Auto Pilot maintains your course so you can focus on fishing. But if you have been born and bred (so to speak) on cable steer trolling motors like the Maxum, the fully automatic motors are hard to get used to.

Now you say your sonar was not installed as expected. Many dealers do this crap all the time because they know you just want to get on the water and will most likely live with their mistakes. If they do get it right, it's done as fast and cheap as possible. That's not to say ALL dealers are that way but That's been my experience and I read about the nightmares all the time. Especially this time of year.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
KP is right, it's unfortunate but very common to pick up your boat with things not quite right or as expected. I find myself asking the dealers to do or install less and less with every purchase. They just won't take the time to "personalize" added equipment as I want. It's the little things and comfort levels of your equipment that allows you to make the most of them. Adding switches or components in locations that are convenient for them rather than you can be frustrating. :-?

As far as the Ram mount, the LCX38 is fairly heavy and will bounce around some but the advantage of adjusting or angling your unit for the best view is a plus. :)2

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have had experience with a power drive and now have a maxxum.
Both have there good and bad points. The power drive had the co-pilot
which was great,the only problem was that my boat was to deep and I broke the housing twice where the shaft goes through t. when fishing in 3-4 waves . I bought the maxxum 101 hoping that iI hope is a more heavy duity unit with a 72inch shaft. I like the instant response when steering but miss the co-pilot.
If it was me I would make the dealer fix the problem, several year from now you might be sorry.
I have the ram mounts, it will protect your expensive electronics.
Good luck on your new ranger.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all for your opinions. I have decided to keep the Terrova and see. The feature I like (along with autopilot) is the Co-Pilot which will allow me to stay seated at the console when I guide and/or have guests fishing on the boat. I can run the trolling motor from my seat.
I still like the Maxxum though and ultimately may go back to it. We'll see. :roll:
The RAM mount is fine for my LCX38hd. It is big and very sturdy, so I anticipate no issues. It is also at eye level now, making navigation easier. I like that.

Thanks again

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SO HERE IS MY OPINION AFTER RUNNING THE TERROVA 4 SEPARATE TIMES.....

B+ :-D

The Terrova has some very nice features that the Maxxum just did not have. The autoPilot is just great BUT on a heavy boat like the Ranger 620, the motor has to have enough speed to offset the momentum of the boat. Other than this, it is indeed a tasty item!!
The Terrova just took me a little getting used to in order to stow and deploy. Actually deploying is simple. Stowing takes a slight bit of effort but not bad at all.
The 101 pound thrust is superb.
I added a RAM mount to keep the motor head stable when I run (my dealer gave this to me free). This works well and is a breeze to use.
All in all, it seems OK. I think I'll keep it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.