·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I parked in the lot across the road from
Eagle, and hiked north up the main trail
between two lakes.
Made a left turn(west) at the first major
intersection and walked another 10 minutes.
Headed north to the lake.
As you approach from the south, on your
left is a shallow finger that opens in the
south end of a long lake.
A hike up a 'tailings' hill will put you
about 25-30 feet above the water and gives
you a great view north of most of the lake.
Only about 150-200 feet wide, but heads out into the north quite a distance. I think it ends by the cooling ponds.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pete on 2002-04-08 22:54 ]</font>

·
Registered
266 Posts
Don't know the official name, but all of us have been calling that lake "Long Lake", you can see us talking about it in the threads on the board. If you stay on the main trail and keep going, the trail meanders goes up a little hill and then curves right going north and passes between two lakes then goes up a little hill and curves left a little and straightens out going west. Then you'll see private property signs meant to keep you from going to the private lakes on the right hand side that are the southern most edge of the sportsman's club. The road then curves left again and striaghtens out going south and takes you right to the main former ramp into the strip mine about 4/5ths down Long Lake. Its a long hike but worth it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I've heard of Long Lake, but
always thought it was by Pondo, Monster
and Eagle. I have fished Long only on the south side from shore, due to accessability.
I have hike all the way to the 'keep out'
signs, but thought the trail past that point
was also PP. So I turned around.
Found that a good climbing rope helps
in getting to some shore spots.
Nice looking lake. Any idea on the
depth?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pete on 2002-04-09 16:57 ]</font>

·
Registered
266 Posts
I've primarily shorefished the north side with the steep bank, by the abandoned duck blind and then beyond at several points going west along the north shoreline up to where the ramp goes in and around there. I know that it is very very deep at the north east corner and along that steep bank with a very quick dropoff to very deep waters. I tried guestimating with a weight and my fishing line and estimated that it is about 25 feet deep 15 feet from the shore and about 60 feet deep 25 feet from the shore at that location. It wouldn't surprise me if it goes down to the 80's. It appears that the westernmost bowl separated by a ridge running out from the ramp is much more shallow than the rest of the lake. It appears that the ridge is 4-6 feet deep and runs straight across the lake. That long finger bay at the southeast corner of the lake looks like prime spawning territory to me and I suspect that is where we'll find the active bite. Looks like you might need a machete to get to the shoreline through that brush. I wouldn't want to go through that brush in a month due to the tick hazards. Anywho, I need to do alot more exploring on that lake. It's a long enough hike that only the serious guys are going to get out there. Yeah, alot of people turn back at those keep out signs because they're on both sides of the road at one point. The sportman's club used to lease that land, but now the state owns it. I also found out that the southern part of the South unit was owned by the farmer and that the state purchased it from him and with the land once leased by the sportman's club assembled what we now call the south unit. Good exploring to you. Post your results!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts