ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to give two thumbs up :)2 :)2 for the article in the May issue of F&S on page 32 urging people to support their local bait shops. No doubt these megastores have closed down more local shops than one can count, so I'm glad when I read articles like this one.

P.S. check out the ad on page 53. I did the artwork on the jeep :lol:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well now that the issue is out to the general public (guess I posted a little too early) thought I'd put this back at the top.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I didn't see the article but I do agree that everyone should support locals. Gone are the days of really abundant selections of live bait I used to see when I was younger. I've always thought it was a shame those guys get squeezed out because they can't compete or they just didn't have an interested family younger to take over the shop. I miss some of those old bait shops. There is a few left but it seems as the old ones go out not as many new ones are popping up.

I frequently visit the local shops in the area I'm fishing (if there is one) It's a great place to hear the gossip and talk to fellow fisherman. 4 o'clock in the morning picking out the best flatties and shiners before they get picked out!

Now it seems you pull up to a sun soaked vending machine for some limp crawlers. Forget finding any baby crayfish let alone lively ones. It's like the same fate as the Drive in Movie! :cry: OK I'll cut it out.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I also did not read the artical, but I have to agree in supporting some of the local Bait shops. One reason is because one of my friends owned a Bait shop in Braidwood and it was fun working there when he needed me.
In fact, we use to have fish fry every know and then. But the corner property has been sold for sometime and it is a parking lot for IGA food store. But also on the other hand Gino Altery from Wilmington Bait and Tackle has a newer Bait and Tackle Shop about a block or so away from where Deans old place was on the corner.

Good Luck Fishin.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
TonyH said:
I also did not read the artical, but I have to agree in supporting some of the local Bait shops. One reason is because one of my friends owned a Bait shop in Braidwood and it was fun working there when he needed me.
In fact, we use to have fish fry every know and then. But the corner property has been sold for sometime and it is a parking lot for IGA food store. But also on the other hand Gino Altery from Wilmington Bait and Tackle has a newer Bait and Tackle Shop about a block or so away from where Deans old place was on the corner.

Good Luck Fishin.
I remember that shop and some of the slab fish they used to hold in the tank. Too bad that it shut down. Ya know, when you need bait at 4A for a trip, you sure are not going to get it at Gander. Support the local shops :)2

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Good bait shop

I am lucky that I can get good bait and fishing tackle from JJ Bait in Bridgeview Il. He is located at 8700 South and a short block west of Harlem Ave. He is on the South side of 87th St. He has various hours so if you want bait call him up first to see when he is open. If you plan on going fishing in the early morning, do like I do. I pick up my minnows,etc the night before. I have a aerator and the minnows stay alive. His phone number is 708-430-0949/ He has quite a lot of fishing supplies.

·
Premium Member
2,679 Posts
Correction

Note: The phone number for JJ Bait Shop is 708-430-0940. I goof on the previous post.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts