ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been to Monee Reservoir this year. I haven't pick up by pole yet. I just want to do something. Can I get some feed back about Monee Reservoir. I am a novice fisherman. Should I go? Is it too soon? I live in the South Suburbs. Don't want to travel too far.

kenlmo

·
Registered
106 Posts
My good buddy who I was actually fishing with today works there. He will give the best info. I fished it twice with him last year and in about ten hours on the lake we hit one good fish. It recieves heavy fishing pressure, and there are good fish in it. In my experience, it was not too teriffic.

Marty

·
Registered
16 Posts
You should check out the reservoir this year especially because your close by. Fisherman caugth several bass over 6 lbs last year including myself. Lots of channel cats and a few northern pike in there to. the crappie and bluegill will start hitting as soon as the ice melts. Like marty said, there is a lot of fishing pressure especially around shore with side walks and by the boat dock. this area is fished everyday, all day. Bait and boat rentals start april 1st. If you come out this year I can give you quality first hand info, i have fished this lake for 5 years now, if i am not calling in sick that is. ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PartyMarty said:
My good buddy who I was actually fishing with today works there. He will give the best info. I fished it twice with him last year and in about ten hours on the lake we hit one good fish. It recieves heavy fishing pressure, and there are good fish in it. In my experience, it was not too teriffic.

Marty
Thanks Marty,

Where do you suggest here in the south suburbs. Looking for Crappie, Blue Gills, and Catfish.

Ken

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PartyMarty said:
I have heard some decent things about braidwood and and shabbona. aside from that, I'm not too sure.

Marty
I don't have a boat how is the bank fishing at braidwood?
I too excited about this fishing season..

Ken

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
kenlmo2002 said:
PartyMarty said:
I have heard some decent things about braidwood and and shabbona. aside from that, I'm not too sure.

Marty
I don't have a boat how is the bank fishing at braidwood?
I too excited about this fishing season..

Ken
Lots of small cats and bluegill to be had from shore using the usual methods. If you go back there are already a good amount of reports from Braidwood for this season to research.

·
Registered
294 Posts
2 get the big cats @ braidwood, u need big bait like suckers or shad to avoid those lil cats.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I still fish Monee when im in the area, but when I lived back there, I used to fish Monee reservoir ALL the time about 6-10 years ago. During that time, the crappie were so thick, you could walk across them. Anywhere you fished around the sea wall, or riprap shores using small jigs, or fatheads under a bobber, you couldnt keep them off the hook.
I heard however, that after that, they shocked the water and removed a bunch of the crappie. (I dont know if thats true, or the bucket fisherman cleaned a ton out, but either way, the population has majorly declined)

Bass fishing can be pretty good. Back then, the back portion of the lake wasnt open to fishermen, so when it first opened up action back there by a boat was HOT.

There are still a lot of quality bass in the lake, but there is a ton of pressure, so you really have to work for them. In the spring, people always seem to catch some pigs just walking around the riprap, and fishing around the island. If you rent a boat and can get away from the water accessible to shore fisherman, you can have an easier time finding fish. I still fish this place once and a while, and I always seem to do good on the bass. (from a boat).

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Im sure Ill be able to put you on some fish. Good Luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts