ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What brand and test do you recommend for someone trying to learn how to us a baitcaster? A guy up at BPS told me all mono line is exactly the same, it is all made the same and just has different brand names on it...is that possible?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Initially, I had a lot of trouble figuring out baitcasters. The advice that worked for me came from my buddies dad. He had me using 20 or 30lb Power Pro. That line seems to be the easiest to pick a birds nest out of and I find it casts really nice. Also, Start out with heavier lures/casting plug. Heavier is easier to manage. Once you get that down you'll have a better time with the lighter stuff. And also, don't muscle your casts. Let the rod and lure do the work.

And keep a pick of some sort handy. You will need it when you start out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Initially, I had a lot of trouble figuring out baitcasters. The advice that worked for me came from my buddies dad. He had me using 20 or 30lb Power Pro. That line seems to be the easiest to pick a birds nest out of and I find it casts really nice. Also, Start out with heavier lures/casting plug. Heavier is easier to manage. Once you get that down you'll have a better time with the lighter stuff. And also, don't muscle your casts. Let the rod and lure do the work.

And keep a pick of some sort handy. You will need it when you start out.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yes, mono is pretty much the same, with subtle differences, but not enough to warant agonizing over the decision when it's main purpose is really to learn baitcasting. Once you be come proficient with the baitcaster, then you can start tweaking your line preference. So, with that in mind, just get a relatively in-expensive mono. A good all around diameter will be 12-14 lb test for a starting point. Agree with the above, in regards to starting with heavier lures, and do not go for broke. Start with short casts so you get the feel for stopping the spool, etc.

Tie your lure on, and set your drag (magnetic or cnetrifical pin) on 0, or off. The disengage the spool and let your lure fall. I like to keep my spool tension knob fairly loose, but when just figuring out a new reel, I set it so the lure just barely falls at free spool. Then I turn my magnetic drag almost all the way up, and throw a cast. From there I start backing both items out, though mostly spool tension knob at first, until I have it set to perfom long casts without incident, but also loose enough that it is dangerously close to the birds nest.. ;) You will get a feel for this after using one long enough. Ideally, I like a loose spool and to use about alow to mid level magnetic drag. This gives me the opportunity to adjust the magnetic drag for changing wind conditions, etc.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I have an all mono setup on a baitcaster I use for jigging - seems to work just fine. The problem with powerpro is you can't use the very small diameter stuff (-10lb) on a baitcaster because it will bite into itself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks riverrat.

Do you guys think using powerpro/braid is worth the expense for learning on a baitcaster?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yea, it's worth it. and it will last longer too. when it starts getting fuzzy just reverse it on the reel. And don't forget the mono backing. It will slip on the spool otherwise.

DC

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
For casting it's easier because you get the nests out easier then mono. I'd recommend going with 30lb/10 dia(mono I think?) go to there web site and it'll get going.

·
Registered
693 Posts
There is no reason anyone should be using mono in 2008. Too stretchy, no resistance to abrasion...the list goes on. Just my opinion.

The only use mono has nowadays is for a cheap backing. Use a quality braid on your baitcaster, like PowerPro.

·
Registered
531 Posts
There is one very nice mono out there that performs like nothing else I've ever used. I've caught everything on it from 50" Musky to 12 pound LM Bass on lake Toho. The stuff is superb.
It's called Super Bass On....and you cannot find it anywhere. I mean it. You have to order it from one place via telephone.
It's fantastic stuff.....grayish in color. The best thing is it's resistance to birds-nesting when casting with a baitcaster in heavy wind. It is also super abrasion resistant. I have fished all day pitching into heavy cover on a Florida Lake without any issues.
It is only available in 2 sizes....17 pound which I use for almost everything. It's also available in 10 pound which is great for smallie fishing.
Really top flight stuff. :)2

·
Registered
693 Posts
If you don't want to use braided, McCoy Mean Green is a really great copolymer. You could give that a try, too. Tough to find, though.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I agree, McCoy Mean Green is great. Hard to find, but great. I think that tackle shop on 159th in Tinley/Orland (Fishing Connection) carries it. I'm thinking about going back to it for everything.

·
Registered
83 Posts
mc coy mean green has stood the test of time have used it for years!i buy the 3000 yd service spools from a-baits in lockport for $45.00 and spool my reels for about 1 1/2 cents a yard.there is no way i would pay what they want for some of the new lines!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts