ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to montrose this morning. The wind was kind of brisk from the south so the shoe wasn't too bad. I spent the last week rigging my first powerline set up, and this morning got to see it go in the water; kind of cool. I did many things wrong though, and didn't catch anything but cold and wet. I had to borrow another guy's tank for my shot and would like to have my own for next time. Does anyone have any leads on were to get one in or about the north west suburbs? As far as a report on who caught what, there wasn't a whole lot going on. The best fish I saw was a 20/22 inch steel head powerlined from the end light tower. After that maybe 2 or 3 barely keeper size trout, I'm not sure what kind, and maybe one or two coho. Better luck next weekend.
Don't eat too much, but hoist a few.
Gus

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks annie momus! I'll give henry's a buzz.(on the phone that is)

Canoeman, a buddy from work was the most help. Are you interested in putting one together? It's really not too much trouble, and I'm convinced they are the way to go before the fish come into casting distance. I also have a couple of diagrams of the whole setup. I got one on paper from willie greens in montrose, and the other I down loaded from some where. If I can find the link I'll post it. If not I can send it to you via email. Outside of that, the best learnin' I got was to go down to the lake and take a look. Once I saw one shot I had a good idea of what was going on. Hope this helps.
Hoist 'em.
gus

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The link for the powerline drawing is as follows:
http://chicagolandfishing.com/powerline.htm
Also the bait shop in montrose harbor sells an entire kit for around fifteen bucks, including the line with six brass swivles a big bobber, a lead weight, some rope, some snells, basically every thing you need to go out right away.
Hoist 'em
Gus

G

·
I was at montrose on [email protected] 3:30when the dnr showed up checking licenses. One guy fishing for trout did not have his stamp. The dnr gave him a ticket. What ensued was much "motherfing" and hassling of the dnr. I for one was ashamed to be a part of the fishing community at that time. I had brought a friend down to ghow him how nice it was and how the group was as a community. i could continue but i think you have the picture. behavior like what i witnessed certainly will not help us with any issues that may come up with the city. we should not let a couple of clowns ruin our reputation .

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man annie! That IS a shame. I too enjoy the friendly "known you all my life" atmosphere to be enjoyed among the fishermen crowd. I'ts just sorrowful that one bad apple has to put such a downer on a good time. It's not like the dnr was out-of-line. That officer was just doing his job, and that "fisherman"? was in the wrong. We all play by the rules so the fishery will be here for years to come. No one wins when poachers poach. I hope real fishermen like your self and your buddy aren't turned of completely. The other 99.9% of us are out there for the same reason; to play by the rules and enjoy a good day on the water. I agree. We should'nt let these clowns ruin our play ground.
Hoist 'em (reponsibly)
Gus

G

·
"One guy fishing for trout did not have his stamp. The dnr gave him a ticket."----------------------------------------------------------------How did the DNR know he was fishing for Trout ??? Did he have one on a stringer or something ??? BTW I hate cheaters. If you guys read that whole thread titled our "South of the Boarder Friends" , you'll see that someone suggested to be nice and "educate" the forkers. I say Cow-pie. If people are smart enough to find out where the fish are, how to rig, and what to use as bait---They sure as hell are smart enough to find out what the regs are, and where to buy a damn licence. These people should be dragged into the wooods for a good ass kick'n, BEFORE they receive their tickets. I just paid 34 bucks for a non-res WI fishing lic (didn't even get a freek'n stamp). If all of these poachers paid their fair share, my cost, and yours, would not be so great. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Some days you fish, some days you throw blanket parties :smile: :smile: :smile:

P.S. I told you I hated cheaters

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right on Angler101!! A GOOD ass kckin'!!!
I got my sock read to go.

Hoist 'em.
Gus

p.s. no mercy to those who cheat

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Gus on 2002-04-09 20:53 ]</font>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts