ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've been in Chicago for two years now and recentley found out fisherman live here too! I'm from SE Michigan and grew up small lake fishing. I moved here after leaveing the army and didn't even think of fishing due to alot of big city fishing misconceptions.

I've breezed through these forums and apologize if any of my questions are repeats but I was wondering if theres any local northside fisherman who frequent Montrose, Belmont harbors or Navy pier who'd tolerate a fishing buddy to train up in the ways of the Lake Michigan shore fisherman. Most of my experience from back home is useless, I never really learned to fish properly growing up and would really like to enjoy the sport to it's fullest potential.

Beyond finding a fishing buddy I'd find it really useful to know what months of the year I can fish Montrose / Belmont / Navy with the most success. Also I'm going to go shopping for new tackle to go with my medium action 6' rod. If anyone could itemize a complete don't leave home without it list of tackle to start out with on the lakeshore I'd be much obliged as all I learned to use out east was spinnerbaits, artificial frogs, and crawler rigs. I did a little icefishing and have limited recollection of minnow baiting tip ups but never put live on my longlines. Thanks in advance for any help that may be out there.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Whatcha want to go for? All species?

I know some stuff about perching and going for panfish in the harbors...

One thing I'd like to try very soon is powerlining for Coho.

But yea - shoot me a PM I go to Montrose a lot. If you search my name you will read about my catches from Montrose this winter (not really...perchin was tough)

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
Powerlining

Anyone wanting to try powerlining, just drop me a note. I will be getting my gear ready very soon. Usually I fish either Diversey(near Fullerton) or Montrose when the ice floes depart the shoreline. It would be a good idea to see how it's done before purchasing all the gear.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I tend to stick to Diversey harbor, and have hopes to get out there much more often and report my catches (or lack of...) this season. I usually stick to largemouth/smallmouth bass fishing, panfishing, rock bass, and anything else that won't break off 6-8lb test line.

Once Spring starts up, I'll be out there...

- Jon

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Re: Powerlining

Westwind said:
Anyone wanting to try powerlining, just drop me a note. I will be getting my gear ready very soon. Usually I fish either Diversey(near Fullerton) or Montrose when the ice floes depart the shoreline. It would be a good idea to see how it's done before purchasing all the gear.

Westwind, could you shoot me a PM before you plan on going out powerlining? I'd definitely like to see how its done before I purchase any gear

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
Now try to keep it on topic guys.
I don't like cleaning up threads, way to welcome a new guy. :roll:

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Scott...
Welcome to Chicago. I doubt most will take the time to create the long post that would answer your question completely. It's hard to sum up all of the things that a well equipped angler might bring along to fish the LM shorelines. If you can tell us what you're hoping to catch, maybe you'll get more results. I, for one, will watch this thread & come back to help. Are you looking for:

-perch?
-bass?
-brown, steelhead, or other trout?
-coho or king salmon?
-carp?
-other?

In the next few weeks, it will be a good time to catch the perch that are still in near the shoreline. Brown trout and occasional coho will also be available. I know absolutely nothing about bass fishing & when they're hot. Let me know what you intend to target & I'll be glad to help. No matter what you intend to fish for, there is one single item you will need. A net! One with a long, sturdy handle. If you spend enough time fishing here, you will surprise yourself with a bigger fish than you expected. I have more experiences than I'd care to admit fishing for perch and ending up with a brown or other similar fish on a minnow, and not having a net to get it up to the shore level. Beyond that, I'll wait to hear from you!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Scott,

Welcome.....As for the must have items, a net with a x-long handle, deep diving crank baits, little cleo spoons.

Try early morning at Montrose Horseshoe Pier over the next few weeks thru April for Coho. You'll notice people using longer rods to cast spoons a bit further.

Also, if you have some time, search on this website for similar topics....you'll find plenty of info on Lake Michigan fishing.

Have fun!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone! I know the first question was lengthly and since posting I breezed through a couple of fishing books to get my head out. I should be good to go as far as bass and panfish as that was my Michigan small inland lake domain. What I'm most excited about getting out here is the fish I haven't had the pleasure of shaking hands with yet... ie: coho's, brown's, things I won't find in the small water.

Let me narrow in on some more specific questions. How long a net? 8 feet 12' retractable? I know it might sound silly but I'm going to go ahead and look like a dummy now so I can come back with some successful reports eventually. On my 6' spinning rig "the only one in chicago right now" What pound test should I put on for the big un's? What the heck is powerlining? When does montrose bait shop open and will the have the tackle and advbice I'll need on the lakeshore? and last but not least... If I'm relaying beers into a coozied coke can is the man going to come snooping around looking for that sort of thing?

Thanks again for the welcome and assistance everybody.

·
Registered
93 Posts
gotfish? wrote:
No matter what you intend to fish for, there is one single item you will need. A net
I respectfully disagree.

I landed several fish at Burnham Harbor without a net (see below for details).

Burnham Harbor Brown Trout (Monday, December 18, 2006)

Burnham Harbor Steelhead Trout 12/30/2006.

Burnham Harbor Steelhead Trout (Tue, Jan 2, 2007)

Click on the titles/pictures (above) to see the story of how each fish was caught and landed.

gotfish? & joelreiser

I hope you are both well.

Let's get together.

Powerlines for coho @ 31st Street?

I hope to see you both again soon.

Still learning,

Beginner

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Ahhhhhhhhhhh.... my hero! :-D

I'll fish with you anytime. You buy me donuts & coffee at 5 in the morning and hand deliver them to the shore. You ARE the man!!

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
Beginner said:
gotfish? wrote:
No matter what you intend to fish for, there is one single item you will need. A net
I respectfully disagree.

I landed several fish at Burnham Harbor without a net (see below for details).

Burnham Harbor Brown Trout (Monday, December 18, 2006)

Burnham Harbor Steelhead Trout 12/30/2006.

Burnham Harbor Steelhead Trout (Tue, Jan 2, 2007)

Click on the titles/pictures (above) to see the story of how each fish was caught and landed.

gotfish? & joelreiser

I hope you are both well.

Let's get together.

Powerlines for coho @ 31st Street?

I hope to see you both again soon.

Still learning,

Beginner

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beginner failed to tell you he had help. ;)

Donut's, Powerlines, and you too......................OK I'm in.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Aside from Smelters, is anyone still using the old trolley set-up. As a kid in the fifties that was the only fishing I new when I went to Montrose with my Grandfather. Good memories.

·
Registered
272 Posts
you guys should go out and fishing ;) . The browns are starting to bite, just landed a 9 lber(26") this morning at northernly island. I was using K O wobbler. sorry no pics.

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
OK, 1st thing you need is a good long landing net, Oh wait you don't need those anymore...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts