ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've lived in my house for over 10 yrs. and in that time I saw 2 and now this week alone I saw a pack of 3 last friday and 2 different ones today. Has anyone else seen more or any around by them?

·
Premium Member
10,336 Posts
I live near Miller Meadow/Loyola Medical Center and I walk my dog in the woods... A CCFP cop warned me about Coyote mating season coming up and how aggressive they become... Plus, I've seen a lot of deer out in the open so the woodsy parts must not be safe for them...

·
Registered
540 Posts
I saw 2 around Greene Valley FP in the last couple weeks. No more or less than usual, except they were larger than I remember in the past.

·
Registered
352 Posts
i can hear them almost every night by my house if i am outside late. i dont mind them but it is a little unnerving to have a pack of them run by you about 100 feet away while night fishing! :eek: aqua pup and i have had two very close run ins. one was ice fishing and one was open water. you can hear them coming and then just see eyes fly by. we laughed about it after but truth be told we were both wide eyed and bushy tailed while they went by.

who was that who grabbed the auger and yelled "we're dead!" :p

·
Registered
33 Posts
in the early morning at saganaskee slough, if police sirens go off they will all start howling at them in the surrounding woods.

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
I saw one about 6 months ago in the summer. In the grassy area of the bank parking lot at 22nd and Mannheim. The FP is right across the street, so I can only assume he wandered across 22nd. Pretty brazen anyhow since that "field" of the parking lot is pretty open. I'd be nervous if I had a little dog that O left alone in the yard.... :eek: I know they are oppurtunists.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I see them quite a bit around the prairie portions of the forest preserves out around me in Tinley. Last year I had one running straight down the path away from me as I rollerblading towards it. I got about 20' or so from it before it bolted off into the grass. Pretty cool.

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
See them quite a bit. The strangest place I and my honey saw one this summer was at California and Addison sts. in the city. He was running from Gordon tech to the old commonwealth edison plant in broad daylight. There are and have been lots of them in the city for years. Pretty resourceful animals.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I saw one Sunday night while driving home around midnight. Little bastard was trotting across Buffalo Grove RD, just south of Dundee road. I don't think there is a forest preserve within a few miles. Closest I can think of is the DesPlanes river area about 2-3 miles east of there. Looked like he was dumpster diving (guessing from where it looked like he was coming from/going to).

I heard a whole bunch of them in the fall howling at night around Government Pier. Hope they eat up the rats around there.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Out towards the Plano area I see about 2 or 3 a year, mostly very early in the morning. Normally see them streaking across the road when I am driving. Maybe they are bolder in more urban areas, but the ones I see want nothing to do with human contact. A little different then the ones I used to encounter in the Mojave Desert during my service days. Those guys showed no fear. Had a buddy wake up one morning to find his pogie bait gone and a steaming pile of coyote s*it in his pup tent :eek:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went out and walked around abit and tracked a new pair of prints out there yeasterday in the new puffy snow, I didn't see them this time. They're more bold or more of then? Not sure, it even took a dump in my yard.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts