ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone found any morels yet...The weather is looking good for them. Hopefully they'll be out this weekend.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have the morel fever also. I live in Chicago Logan Square and its hard to find a place to go with out driving several miles. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance for any info. Here is a link for a sight that I check for 2008 sightings. Should be a good year with all the snow and rain we have had.

http://www.morelmania.com/6Sightings/index.html

·
Registered
197 Posts
I live in the North Central area of Illinois and I have been out in the Forest Preserve areas near Willington but no luck. Hoping to get some during the week and after the rain. Everywhere I go I find Oaks and no Elms. Does any one know where there are any good forest of elms and maples in this area?

·
Registered
174 Posts
tkcenterline said:
Everywhere I go I find Oaks and no Elms. Does any one know where there are any good forest of elms and maples in this area?
I don't pick mushrooms but that would be like giving away your personal fishing hot spot. :lol:

I wish you luck but I don't foresee anyone that likes these giving that info out :(

·
Registered
205 Posts
I looked for morels today in bussey woods still looks early there. I have never found any there was just checking. Was a very nice day, fished a little caught and released a small 12 LM bass on a live minnow. Several people fishing only saw a small crappie and another small bass caught.

·
Registered
413 Posts
tkcenterline said:
I live in the North Central area of Illinois and I have been out in the Forest Preserve areas near Willington but no luck.
I've got a question.........I've heard some things the last couple of years, that taking anything out of the forest preserves is illegal. They've got signs up to that effect, basically leave the area as you found it. So, is it OK to harvest mushrooms from these areas or not? I'd hate to get fined for something that seems harmless, but then if everyone and their grandmas were out doing this, I suppose it would impact the area.

If there's a forest preserve cop on this site, I hope you can comment.

Thanks,
Bill

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
fish56 said:
tkcenterline said:
I live in the North Central area of Illinois and I have been out in the Forest Preserve areas near Willington but no luck.
I've got a question.........I've heard some things the last couple of years, that taking anything out of the forest preserves is illegal. They've got signs up to that effect, basically leave the area as you found it. So, is it OK to harvest mushrooms from these areas or not? I'd hate to get fined for something that seems harmless, but then if everyone and their grandmas were out doing this, I suppose it would impact the area.
If there's a forest preserve cop on this site, I hope you can comment.
Thanks,
Bill
YUP! ILLEGAL. Bout' the only thing one can do is fart out in the woods. :eek:

Even a shed. Then one takes a chance running into a ranger who's had a BAD DAY. Not sure if it was passed but I think one even has to have a shroom LICENSE, dunno, not sure?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Nikster wrote said:
YUP! ILLEGAL. Bout' the only thing one can do is fart out in the woods.

Even a shed. Then one takes a chance running into a ranger who's had a BAD DAY. Not sure if it was passed but I think one even has to have a shroom LICENSE, dunno, not sure?
Found this on the DNR site, no mention of needing a license that I could find.
Morels & Hunting

·
Registered
140 Posts
Here is a quote from the DNR website:

"Collection of mushrooms is allowed in state parks and recreations areas, but is prohibited in any area designated as a dedicated Nature Preserve."

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
KINGFISH6221 said:
Nikster wrote said:

Morels & Hunting
HERE WE GO! There was talk about it some time back, but I guess it came from RUMOR CENTRAL;

NO LICENSE NEEDED

http://chicagoist.com/2005/04/05/mushro ... _to_be.php

Now the big question about pickin shrooms on County Preserve's????????? I think that they can still Nail Ya??????????

·
Registered
140 Posts
I guess you didn't read my post before yours?

Forest/Nature Preserves are illegal to take Morels or any plant for that matter out of. Look it up on any Forest Preserve website. You can get a ticket if caught.

Nikster said:
KINGFISH6221 said:
Nikster wrote said:

Morels & Hunting
HERE WE GO! There was talk about it some time back, but I guess it came from RUMOR CENTRAL;

NO LICENSE NEEDED

http://chicagoist.com/2005/04/05/mushro ... _to_be.php

Now the big question about pickin shrooms on County Preserve's????????? I think that they can still Nail Ya??????????

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
quote, inside quote double quote (just kidding).......Is anyone findin any yet. I haven't looked since Sunday?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts