ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found any morels in LaSalle County or surrounding areas yet? I think they are just starting to come up here and I'm trying to figure out if I should go look for them before this freeze comes in tonight (I don't know if this hurts or not) or just wait until this coming weekend.

·
Registered
32 Posts
went out to my best spots in Bureau County and got nothing. I usually have loads by now...It's been cold. I'm not going back out untill the weekend...or when i hear someone finding them for sure.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Big 10,
Got a report from a friend and he checked LaSalle county with nothing yesterday. I usually get a dozen or so on my 2 acres by Starved Rock, and I didnt find any yesterday either. I will post when I see anything that even closely resembles a mushroom. Thursday, I will walk the woods again. :)2 :)2

Wfoster, I will shoot you a PM when they spring up.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Found 4 last night in my yard. about 3 inchs tall and in grass next to dead elm trees. They are popping in LaSalle County.

Wfoster, Weekend?

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
Went yesterday to a (Shhhh secret spot) & nada, zilch to early for Northern Lake County???????????

Another week or so ????????? for the early birds then 2 weeks for a good harvest ?????????????

Can't wait till I fry some up w/onions, smother a steak with them. Eat all the shrooms & throw the steak away :p

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I was out hiking in the woods a couple days back and didn't see anything. I looked by dead falls, hillsides etc didn't see any shrooms, of course I don't know where the heck I should be looking. Maybe I should look up some of these trees you guys listed.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Labman
I am going to head out that way Sunday morning early AM. What are your plans for tomorrow. If we cant find any morels we can hit the river and do a little fishing. I still have your cell number from last year if you haven't changed phone numbers.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Sorry, was roofing and doing lots of stuff around here. I am going to the BWCA in two weeks and my time is shrinking. I found a few more in the yard Yesterday morning. I might have a bit of time Saturday morning. We can hit the white bass run too.

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
Northern Lake County;

Took a ride yesterday near the Wis., State line, to a spot on private property that does produce Morel's on a regular basis. Did'nt find anything nor even seen any telltale sign's that are old. For the given area (Wi. border) it's still a bit early, but I have a feeling that with all the moisture we've had it will be a BUMPER CROP.

Lets take a county or 2 South, 40/60 miles can make a difference in Morels by a week. South of H. 80, should be on now or close to it???????

Just gotta get out there & give it a go, you guys further South should be finding them.

Oh by the way. TICKS are out in FULL FORCE. Had 2 of the creepey buggers on me. YUK :evil:

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
The G/F and I took the dogs out on Sunday. No morels but she called me from work yesterday freaking out because she had a tick on her head.
He was getting pretty plump by the time I pulled it off.

·
Registered
808 Posts
They are popping like gangbusters in the central IL area. Wife and I found 142 last night in about an hour and a half. Same general area had 70 some the night before. Best I have done in quite some time!

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
Hoffman said:
The G/F and I took the dogs out on Sunday. No morels but she called me from work yesterday freaking out because she had a tick on her head.
He was getting pretty plump by the time I pulled it off.
Be carefull in removing TICKS, if one just pulls'em, they PUKE into the cavity that they are creating, nasty buggers, & leave behind a portion of their mouth. YES THEY PUKE!

Show this post to your girlfriend. Better not she'll be an EX.. :p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.