ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fed up with the swivel seat that is currently mounted to the rear bench seat in the boat. It is too close to the outboard, so I want to move it forward to give more room. Has anyone done anything like this?

I am pondering how to mount it securely. I see that bass pro has a short pedestal that is either 7" or 13" tall that looks like a key component, but how shall I attach that to the boat itself?

I would prefer not to use wood because of the overall weight, as the rig is a 1952 Alumacraft that is only 48" across, so I am thinking about aluminum stock of some sort. I am however more accustomed to working with wood, so that is not out of the question.

I'm envisioning that most of the support will come from the bench seat itself with only minimal attachment to the gunwales of the boat.

Any thought, O creative ones?

·
Registered
540 Posts
How big is your motor? Could you make an extension to move your motor back, away from your seat? There are ready made extensions like what you would use for a kicker motor (with HP restrictions), but if you're handy you could build one yourself. How much more room do you need?
I wouldn't recommend going too high with a post seat if your intention is to mount it on the existing bench. You're going to be top heavy compared to the boats' width.
Good luck with your project.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The motor is 9.9

I only need a small amount of extra room, Half a foot maybe.

I was thinking of putting the pedestal on the floor of the boat, because of the top heavy concerns.

But, if I mounted it in the bench seat I could pretend I had an Everglades air-boat! :-D

I'll take a look at the kicker extension. Good thought!

·
Registered
321 Posts
If your only talking 6", a cheap option is to install a cantaliver (like a couple of sturdy shelf brackets) to the front of the existing bench and then install aluminum plate or 3/4 plywood to the cantaliver brackets and bench top. You may also need to install a load distribution plate or 3/4" plywood to the front of the bench before installing the cantaliver brackets. This way you don't have to mess with any floor mounting.

I higher cost but adjutsable option is in the below link.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... id=0001757

1 - 4 of 4 Posts