ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been spending some time mushroom hunting again this year and so far the past month has been on fire and continuing to produce more and more.

I've been finding tons of chantrelles, chicken of the woods, hen of the woods, hedgehog(sweet tooth), purple gilled lacaria, coral mushrooms, old man of the woods, and some other bolettes I want to think are porcini but I'm doubtful if they grow in illinois. If anyone can verify whether or not porcini's(aka cep's) are found in illinois I'd love to hear about what they know. I'm doing a couple spore prints today of the possible ceps. They look exactly like a cep(white flesh inside stem, white pores, brown tops, bulbous stems, and reticulated webbing on stem, just need to finish the spore prints.

Anyways, if you have some extra time and are looking to get some of the above mushrooms I'd suggest finding some gentle slopes with lots of washes into streams and look near the washes. Also right next to the streams. I'm attaching a couple photos just to show my proud finds. Good luck to you all and remember there are bold mushroom hunters and there are old mushroom hunters, but there aren't any old/bold mushroom hunters. Be careful and be sure about your find before you eat them.

Attachments

·
Registered
589 Posts
Nice ones Matt! I found some chanterelles and chickens last week but they were past their prime so I left them. It sucks when you see a tree loaded with 50 lbs of old, dry chickens. I do have a spot for next year though. I have never found hedgehog mushrooms around here so that is a really cool find. I'm also surprised you are finding hens already. As for the porcinis or ceps, they do not grow around here. Chances are you saw are scaberstalks which look very similar to king boletes. Do not eat them! They do look very much like porcinis but have black markings along the stalk.

I know you're into shrooms so if you want a good book on Illinois fungus pick up Edible Wild Mushrooms of Illinois by Joe McFarland. I've e-mailed him in the past and he was the one who gave me a positive id on the scaberstalks. He also wanted to use a picture of puffballs I took in another book but that doesn't make me biased. His book is informative and has great pictures.

http://www.amazon.com/Edible-Mushro...9672038&sr=8-1&keywords=mushrooms+of+illinois

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I was a youngster (many moons ago) I went to my mom's farm that she grew up on, and near the stream in a woodland cove was a mushroom patch where the heads of the mushrooms were over three inches in diameter. As I recall, we only filled a bushel basket of mushrooms and the mushrooms were very tasty.

However, I have not been mushroom hunting lately, and so, along with Marc, trying to find mushrooms now, outside of the store, just takes too much time for me as the farm no longer exists. They discovered oil on the property about 15 years ago and now there are oil derricks were the farm house and barn were.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I read that morels like to grow near dead elm trees so if you are after those, find some elms.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So what kind of areas can you actually go mushroom hunting in. I'm in Lake Co, IL, but I've heard that it is illegal to hunt in the forest preserves.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is illegal to hunt in the forest preserves. :cry:
I've been spending some time mushroom hunting again this year and so far the past month has been on fire and continuing to produce more and more.

I've been finding tons of chantrelles, chicken of the woods, hen of the woods, hedgehog(sweet tooth), purple gilled lacaria, coral mushrooms, old man of the woods, and some other bolettes I want to think are porcini but I'm doubtful if they grow in illinois. If anyone can verify whether or not porcini's(aka cep's) are found in illinois I'd love to hear about what they know. I'm doing a couple spore prints today of the possible ceps. They look exactly like a cep(white flesh inside stem, white pores, brown tops, bulbous stems, and reticulated webbing on stem, just need to finish the spore prints.

Anyways, if you have some extra time and are looking to get some of the above mushrooms I'd suggest finding some gentle slopes with lots of washes into streams and look near the washes. Also right next to the streams. I'm attaching a couple photos just to show my proud finds. Good luck to you all and remember there are bold mushroom hunters and there are old mushroom hunters, but there aren't any old/bold mushroom hunters. Be careful and be sure about your find before you eat them.
You have mentioned some really good points for beginners to get started, I am going to place order for spore syringes soon and want to get started asap, really have interested developed to grow mushroom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts