ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any pointers on spring muskies and where to find them. I was thinking about getting out sometime this month. I have never fished the chain for muskies. I was wondering what the main pattern where. I know musky patterns pretty good but every body of water has its special trafficways and patterns. Please help. I catch and release all muskies even the trophies. Pictures tell the tail just fine. I dont see ant reason to mount anything but my wife.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Right now the water temps are still very low. They will not spawn until the water warms. When you start seeing the water getting close to spawn temp, check typical spawning locations in shallow water. An example of this area is Airport Bay. Immediately follwoing spawn you will find them on the first or second break adjacent to their spawning grounds.

This year might be a little late due to the looooooooooong winter but I think everybody would agree its no secret, several weeks after spawn in May (typically) many people do well trolling Bagley's Monster Shad or similar baits on the 2nd break line on Marie.

Good Luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lunch Box

Sounds like you know the chain. Maybe you can tell me a pattern that will help me in the tournament. How should I fish and what lures should I use? What is the best lake?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Anon:

I'm not as familiar with the chain as I should be considering it is my home lake. I tend to spend most of my time on other lakes. I'll do what I can, send me an email. [email protected] I would suggest that you might go to the SOB or FRV chapter MI meetings. Both chapters have a bunch of great guys who are pretty open about info sharing. Our meeting, FRV, is at the Elgin Ramada Wed 10th April at 7:30.

Good luck in the tournament. I'm boat #14. Which boat are you?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lunch Box,

I was screwing with you. I do belong to FRV. I fished the Chain on Sunday the 7th and 14th. Had a mid 30's on, on the 7th. Lost him. He straighten out my hooks. I was fishing down sized tackle. Nothing on the 14th. Cold and raining. One of our members at FRV had one on in 16 feet of water on the 13th. He lost it. Fishing is slow. They have not moved up yet. Went up Trevor creek to see if I could find some. Nothing there. No bait fish or muskies in the creek. Most years you would see them in there by now. Givin the weather forecast, looks like we will be fishing pre-spawn or right at the start. Going to make things real hard. Good Luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Lunch_Box. Thanks for the information. I was the anonomous post. Ive regestered since. Ive be wondering about spawn temps. I have allways practiced spawn temps to be at about 54 to 60. When do think the pre spawn temps start? I have found that the ever elusive musky doesnt eat during spawn,I think its because there to busy "getting it on" (lol) and are pretty tired. i really appreciate the help. You guys are great. Thanks again. Oh, also how much does it cost to go to the meetings you guys talked about?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice try Bill. All Lunch Box has to do is read your post and he will know it's not me. I belong to FRV. Why would I ask how much the meetings are but, if you want to come, Mike Jackson will be speaking at our April 10th meeting. Starts at 7:30 at the Ramada Inn, in Elgin.

Mr. Anonymous

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was the origonal post. I start the Musky post. I wasnt talking about the your anonomous post. Sorry about the mix up. So please tell me how much it is and i wiil introduce myself at the meeting if its not to much. Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
The chapter asks for a donation to cover costs of the meetings. Typically we ask for $2 however if a big name like Pete Mania or other travels a great distance, we have to put them up for the night or two requiring us to ask for $5.

I agree about peak spawn = not catching fish. I just got back from spending the weekend down south on a lake that was at the height of spawn and all we caught were a few small males.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lunch_Box on 2002-04-17 22:37 ]</font>

·
Registered
15 Posts
oversized gitzit with a slab of perch meat is all you need, they're sure good pickled. anybody want a few quarts???????

1 - 10 of 10 Posts