ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am thinking about trying my luck raising a few muskies this year at shabbona. I have only ever seen 1 musky caught in my life and that was at heideki as my brother and i were using bottom bouncers an crawlers harnesses for the eyes. I am somewhat familiar with the lake. Any tips on anything would be appreciated

·
Registered
62 Posts
try by the no motor zone.... or the weed edges...alot of pressure on that lake but, can be good if you hit it at the right time... There are some Huge bass in there

·
Registered
83 Posts
I don't fish Shabbona very often, but I did get a 36" 12# musky a couple of years ago trolling a Rapala Deep Husky Jerk in 9 ft. of water near the east shore in mid-May before the weeds got too high. It was battle-scarred from previous encounters, but I successfullly revived it and released it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
IS IT EVEN POSSIBLE TO SHORE FISH A MUSKY AT SHABONNA?

IF SO HOW ABOUT ON A 12 LB LINE WITH A 12LB-16LB ROD AND REAL.

IF NOT WHAT IS THE CHEAPEST WAY TO GET A GOOD MUSKY FISHING ROD REAL SET?

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
ladukie3 said:
IS IT EVEN POSSIBLE TO SHORE FISH A MUSKY AT SHABONNA?

IF SO HOW ABOUT ON A 12 LB LINE WITH A 12LB-16LB ROD AND REAL.

IF NOT WHAT IS THE CHEAPEST WAY TO GET A GOOD MUSKY FISHING ROD REAL SET?
Sure, you can shore fish the muskie there. Lots are caught in the no-motor zone, but the best bet I have seen is to fish large walk the dog topwaters in the bay next to Lakeside around June. It is usually good for one or two blowups an evening. You want to go with heavy braid though as you have to work the fish through the shoreline slop that extends out a little bit in a large portion of that area. Pretty cool pattern that I used to get a few on before I got my boat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts