ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how everybody around here did in the tournament over the past weekend! I seen Komo was trying to match his boat # for the tournament, What about everybody else?

·
Registered
54 Posts
We got schooled :oops: Nice meeting you Mark :)2

We watched the handliners pull fish at will and we definetly weren't as prepared as I thought. We caught nice fish in the pre-fish but the weekend was a different story and being 15 minutes late for the weigh-in day 1 didn't help either. I'll post a few pics in the next day or two and next year I'm sure it will be a very different story. ;)

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Yep, pretty close to my boat number indeed. Hopefully better weekend ahead.

Thought the MWC ran a good program. Weigh in was a breeze. Pretty quick. Food great at the boat club.

We were in the right spots at the wrong time. Caught fish but didnt catch the right fish.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Is handlining just what it sounds like?

·
Registered
369 Posts
yep Handlining is catching fish by hand. Your arm is the rod and your fingers are the drag. Great way to river fish.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I think the other term used(Mark mentioned it to me a few weeks ago), might help paint a picture of how its done..... HE HE

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
Just an FYI and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
I read with interest you guys' goings on down there each year. :)2

·
Registered
50 Posts
I heard something about handliners cheatin.. Was wondering if anyone else heard this.. Something about three leads or something.. Saw the warden at the weigh in talkin to some guys..

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would like to know how guy's in a tournament were running three leads, two is hard enough on a rising river with debris [leaves ,sticks] and most tournament guy's I knew had a good idea of what the rules were before going into a tournament! :oops:

·
Registered
121 Posts
My Son and I will be down there.
I just put the boat back together last night.
Everything functions and it didnt burn down so were good to go :)2

Full tank of gas...
Entries paid...
Roach motel for the Roach Motel :lol:

·
Registered
326 Posts
If your running 2 and they get debris on em you have nothing without. If you got three and two get fouled you still got a debrisless presentation. I'm not sayin...I'm just sayin.

Rules keep people from cheating when theirs money on the line? I got some land in Florida for you. Again I'm not sayin....I'm just sayin.

Human nature= The more money, the more people looking for an angle. Sad but true :evil: .

·
Registered
253 Posts
We had 13.5# by 10 am. , drinkin' beer eatin' fried chicken and feelin good by noon on Friday. And of course, gameday it doesn't hold. 13.5# for the event, 72nd place. River level competition update to follow.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes Junior there were at least 2 or 3 teams dqued for running 3 lines per reel. One of the guys did it with the camera guy with them so I doubt he was trying to cheat. Obviously he didnt understand the rule that was also pretty obvious. The others were reported by another fisherman who saw them and they should have been told on. The rules are the same for everyone and should be followed by everyone. Handlining is a great weapon and has its place although not for everyone. Hang a 3,4 or 5 lber. on the wire and your hooked( no pun intended). It has its time and place. Labman and I fished together the last IWT and he got a lesson in handlining. I will also add that he caught on quick and done a great job and evev caught the 3.81 sauger that won us big fish. After he caught it all he could do for a half an hour was just smile and say wowww while his bottom lip quivered. I know hes hooked.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Yep, nice work guys. Looks like the bite is gonna be a handliners delight this weekend. River gauge looks good, but rain coming and the fox & dupage up here quite the mess. Should arrive around Friday evening......

Shake, rattle and roll baby!

·
Registered
22 Posts
No handlining for this guy. I have to have rods in my hand. The technigue does obviously work and I have had my butt handed to me on numerous occasions by them.

I thought the tournament went very well. Pre-fishing went much better for us then the tournament but we still ended up tied for 14th so I cannot complain. We jigged both days. Day one fish came from the Peru Flats and day 2 fish came from just below the bridge by the dam. We only caught 11 legals total for both days and our limit fish came with 10 minutes to go on day two. I have never shaken so bad after hooking a fish in my life. We had a blast and it was nice to see some old friends again. Compared to last year, it was a dream:)

Rich Stadler
www.drop-n-stay.com

1 - 18 of 18 Posts