ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently while fishing on the kish at night I had a bright flashlight and decided to check if I could see any fish of some kind well I saw not a few fish but many fish (suckers) not even a foot from shore along with numbers of minnows and fry I've fished this part of the kish for years but have'nt seen this many fish in this cold water temp and cold nights we've had. I just thought it was quite interesting although I was'nt in pursuit of this species of fish I tink I should throw a crawler to them to see if I can't catch something even if it isn't a gamefish. The suckers are facing upstream about one to two inches of the bottom I don't seem them rubbing up against one another maybe there just beginning to spawn I know nothing about when how or what water temp they spawn in but maybe someone does.
<font color="#008000"><><</font> ON !!!!!!!!!!!!

G

·
<font color="#00FF00">Hey Bigfish, the suckers seem to be in gangs year round, i always see them clumped up together or traveling in packs all year long. I absolutly hate these fish myself and have never taken the time to learn about them but they do have some weird ways. I have seen them in packs a foot or two off of a sand bar edge and that was mid summer well after the spawn.Its to bad we couldnt raise funds for a musky stocking program and feed the musky to an enormous stage.I know crazy idea but it works in ponds and small lakes.</font>

G

·
They are rare, but there are a few muskies in the Kish. Look for them in the early spring between Kingston and Kirkland. This is an area with plenty of forage, namely suckers and immature smallmouth. Suicks in a perch pattern work well. CPR as always.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Beleive it or not those suckers make the best catfish bait.You can catch them on small peices of crawler,maggot or corn on tiny jigheads .Fillet the sides and hook it through the corner or use it in chunks

·
Registered
592 Posts
Just about all of the catostomidae fishes(suckers) make a spawning run upstream...many of these fish pile up under dams cuz they can't make it any furhter...some of the tribs will fill up with them (redhorse and quilbacks) in the spring...Many people follow these "rough" fish, which some are supposedly great flavored fish(never tried myself), upstream to fish for the sportfish that follow. Just be sure to release any of these fish that you do not intend to eat...these are natives that play a very important role in the food chain.(smallie food) One species in the fox is a federally threatened or endangered fish...greater redhorse???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts