ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit up the NC coast again at Oceanana Pier in Morehead City. This is probably my second to last fishing trip out this way--But next time I will have a buddy, who will help with the 2-person kayak rig for shark fishing. Exciting stuff!

No sharks this trip, although I did keep reeling in baitfish who'd been half bitten off. They were there, but not too committed to biting I guess. Only 1 guy caught a shark, even among the guys specifically targeting them.

Did catch some fish worth taking home, though. Caught 3 bluefish (tossed one back), one of which was actually really nice sized. Near the end of my time on the pier, I hooked into a nice black drum, just with a little bit of squid on the hook. Very nice surprise!

Saw a bunch of guys catching spanish mackerel with these heavy metal lures, fished really fast (also catching Bluefish on the same). When I reeled in my second shark rig, I saw I had snagged one such a lure someone else had lost--so looks like I'll be getting into some Mackerel next trip in Oct.

After that... Back to freshwater for me, at least for a while!

Attachments

· Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Very nice :)2.
The pic with the clean bite-through reminds me of when I lived on the Big Island. It always freaked me out a little when I reeled in half a fish...
It only happened once or twice to me in two years though.

· Premium Member
11,300 Posts
Bluefish are good, a little oily but I enjoy them.
I wonder if the metal lure was a hopkins.
Gotcha plugs are good for spanish and blues as are bucktails.
That's what they call them out there, a tandem jig set-up, they are sold that way, red & white.
A large one with a smaller trailing jig, If the are running past the piers, one on each jig isn't uncommon.
I love fishing the outer banks. :)

· Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Allegedly, Drum and Bluefish both are good eating. When I filleted them, the bluefish at least had the consistency of a white tuna, which is very encouraging.

I will be cooking up the small bluefish tonight, and will report back.
Indeed, was pretty good. Not too oily, but a little more than say Tilapia. Nice mild flavor, no mud line to speak of.

Dunno about the drum, but am hoping it's better than cleaning it would suggest. That was one slimy fish!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.