ChicagoLand Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So many scanners out there & a bit confusing? Here is my goal for the not the best but better than average scanner for photo's?

1# My daughter was Married in January & has over 500 pro photo's that were taken. The deal was that she gets to keep all proofs with a minimum of $1000.00 spent for picture duplicates (which was an easy task) & now they are her's to do what ever she wants. We (wife & I) want to get a better than average scanner for this purpose. To make up our own album, HERE IS THE QUESTION????????????

So many scanners out there but what is the one we are looking for to achieve the BEST QUALITY for the scans we are looking for??????????? Knowing that not all scanners are alike but ?????????

remember my mindset I'm still amazed when I flick a switch & there is light :eek: need to keep the explanation simple

·
Registered
173 Posts
I get great results with the CanoScan LiDE90 made by Canon. In my opinion they have the best imaging devices for consumers. I have used these line of scanners to put together many DVD presentations as well as reprints. Just remember to scan at least at a resolution of at least 300dpi, or if you have the space on your computer, 600dpi. I'd be happy to help if you have more questions.

Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm a big fan of the HP Photosmart. There are several different models available. copy and scan/ copy, scan, and fax.

You can visit your local staples or office max to see these printers and sample pics of each.
They print very professional pics from digital cameras or scans.

What I like best about this printer is that they use vivera ink cartridges. (one cartridge for each color)

When printing pictures you will use yellow and blues fast. instead of having one color cartridge like many other printers, you can just replace the color that goes empty. The ones that have just one color cartridge are no good if the yellow goes out.

To get all 6 color cartridges it is only 35 bucks. about the same as other printers. I just buy the whole pack and replace the colors as needed. I always have a surplus of extra colors.

You can also buy individual colors for the hp photosmart for about 10 bucks each if you don't want all the extra colors.

I believe the hp photosmarts are about $250.00 not the 450 i paid a few years ago.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I'm with DanPat above, in concept. I do not own a scanner (interest of full disclosure). But I know from my experience in other forums that you "should" get better results from a dedicated scanner, as opposed to one that copies, faxes, prints, and makes bagels. Resolution ratings are key to good end results. A photo processing system is also useful, once you get the images into your computer. A good scanner can be as little as $125. Judge for yourself if it's worth the investment & learning curve (and time) to do this yourself, or if taking them to a photo store (not necessarily Walgreens) would make more sense.

On a separate note...
Doing the latter may pose a problem. Retail locations may not be willing to scan the photos because of the expectation of a copyright issue. Your photographer most likely has a digital copy of these photos. He or she may be willing to part with it (costs unknown) if they believe that the family's phot order is already complete. Photogs typically store these for about 2 years and then destroy them. Ask the photog about this before going through all the other trouble.

·
Registered
548 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THANKS SO MUCH for all the information, narrows my search down & gonna be easier.
I agree I'm not interested in making Bagels, got a cheapie Lexmark that does all that. But I was not aware of 'dedicated scanners,' nor better quality photo results by having 4/5/6 dedicated color thingies. But in my feeble mindset that does compute. :)2

AGAIN THANKS FOR ALL IMPUT :-D

p.s. This knowledge from others was & is worth being a subscriber in this forum in possibly saving me $$$ in helping me make the right purchase. :)2

·
Registered
548 Posts
Not a prob Nik,

Let us know what you decide to get :)

Rich T

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AGAIN THANKS FOR ALL IMPUT. Now it's become multi-purpose.

Made my search somewhat easier. since I have over 2,000 slides, this search now has a two-fold purpose. Ease in scanning slides to imput on a puter, & QUALITY scanning for photo's.
Now I just have to actually try out the unit's (hands on thing) & am aware of the quality of the scanning feature itself. I'm leaning toward the Cannon's & HP's but won't make a choice till I actually play with them.
My GOAL is Good quality for photo's & scanning the slides or ease with having so many.
Also, those proof's are her's & no issue for the copyright thing.

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
gotfish? said:
A good scanner can be as little as $125. Judge for yourself if it's worth the investment & learning curve (and time) to do this yourself, or if taking them to a photo store (not necessarily Walgreens) would make more sense.
I just read through this and found that comment interesting.
The reason being that my daughter is doing the school's senior slide show.
She's getting pictures from everyone and asked if I had a scanner.
No
So I called an office max (real close by) to ask what it would cost to have them scan pictures and put them on a disk.
I still have it written down here...
$7.99 - for the first picture
$1.99 - each additional picture
$9.99 - to burn them to a disk

Now since we're talking about her needing hundreds of photos scanned... :eek:
I haven't priced scanners but if they're less than a couple hundred it would sure seem to me that it's worth it to buy one.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Hoky smokes!
I guess that's a no - brainer then!

I have a photography shop near my office that does some of this stuff for me. They're pretty reasonable for most things, but I never asked them to do slide scanning. There are also online companies where you can send your stuff and have this done...a little research would turn them up.

When I mentioned the "learning curve", here's what I meant:

When a slide or other photo is scanned into a computer, it takes on a certain size, or ratio. Think, for a minute, of a typical 4x6 print that you may have. It's four inches tall and 6 inches wide. For reference, modern digital cameras record images using this as their default size ratio.

But now, let's say you want to print a 5x7 or 8x10 to fit a particular frame. The ratios don't match, where one (4x6) image can just "grow" into one of the larger sizes. With no photoshop work performed, the edges of your image may be lost in the conversion from one size to another. Imagine having a (4x6) photo of 5 people standing side-by-side. Convert that photo to a 8x10 and the people on the ends will be either partially or completely cut off. Or, do the photoshop work to make sure they're still there, and you'll end up with a wide photo with blank space on the top and bottom ( a lot like when regular tv is converted into widescreen).

This may not be a big deal with all of the photos in your collections, but it definately affect some.

Plus, let's say the photo wasn't perfect in the first place. Maybe insufficient lighting, or some other flaw in the photo. A little time spent fixing these things means the difference between average photos and great ones.

Don't get me wrong...I'd still probably buy the scanner. Even if you use it for the task at hand and then sell it on Ebay later. Just don't assume that you'll knock out thousands of slides or prints in an evening.

Ed...I hope you don't mind me posting this, but there is an outstanding photography forum set up a lot like this one is. I would recommend going there (especially for Nikster), and looking around in the "Gear" section for scanner recommendations. There is also a "reviews" part that may be helpful. I spend as much time in this forum as I do here...it really is fantastic. It's http://www.fredmiranda.com

If you do take the time to set up a user name (it's free), and ask a question in a new post, you will have many qualified answers in minutes. A hugh percentage of the members are pros. The advice is excellent. Give it a shot...

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, what a site. (Gwww.fredmiranda.com ) Gotta explore this one over the weekend. :)2

When I mentioned slides, its those small transparent positives 1 1/2x1 1/2. I think Ed's mention of a slide show is, scanning a photo & burning same to a cd?

I have a cheap LexMark scanner, copier, blah blah, ($39.00 on sale) we scanned maybe 500 photos of my daughter thru the years & her husbands also. My wife then transfered them to Power Point , in turn made up a presentation. Then with a projector (family/borrowed) broadcast them on a huge screen at the reception via a laptop, during the evening. A nice touch if I may say so myself. From birth & all the way up to present day. The cheap Lexmark did the job :)2 , & after she taught me how, it took me about 5/6 hours for all those photo's.
But.... in my case now we want to upgrade to a GOOD scanner to copy the photo's, & also have all our slides on the puter to view. All 2000+ slides :eek: .

·
Registered
77 Posts
Also, those proof's are her's & no issue for the copyright thing
I think if you check with the photographer, youre going to find out different. While you own the "paper proofs", the photog retains the copyright and REPRODUCTION rights (unless spelled out differently in your contract with them)

Save yourself a LOT of time and aggravation and contact the photog about buying a cd of the original image files, and get prints made from them.

A GOOD scan of a print or slide is going to take a minute or two EACH.

You also MIGHT run into a 'hidden strip' used in some pro photo grade papers across every proof when you start scanning thats not visible to the naked eye.....a "theft" deterrent thing.

Good luck either way

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
More Confusion ?

Almost ready to take the plundge, but I found an additional source of information in purchasing/quality/reviews, cameras, slr, digital, printers, etc, etc,. This is a site that is gonna take some time to dig through, but it's one of those site's that is a must. At least for me?

http://www.steves-digicams.com/default.htm

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
gotfish? said:
I just looked at his site. He's doing some sort of mirror image of another (more established) photography site. He's basically copying this:
http://www.dpreview.com/
It's Digital Photography Review's Site. Take a look.
Yes, GOOD site, but could not find the reviews in re; SCANNERS? Maybe I have to look harder????

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got 1/2 my problem solved, this slide/neg scanner is the ultimate. Played with it at the store & without buying it, the guy let me take it home. Hooked it right up to the USB port. (1st. installed the program) & went to town for about an hour. The result of the scan to the puter was AMAZING............

http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/cameras/9a24/

Gonna make 2000++ slides a BREEZE. Copied about 100 in a hour & played with them, put them in folders on 2 different programs, Picasa 2 & my Sony program.

·
Premium Member
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nikster said:
Got 1/2 my problem solved, this slide/neg scanner is the ultimate. Played with it at the store & without buying it, the guy let me take it home. Hooked it right up to the USB port. (1st. installed the program) & went to town for about an hour. The result of the scan to the puter was AMAZING............

http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/cameras/9a24/

Gonna make 2000++ slides a BREEZE. Copied about 100 in a hour & played with them, put them in folders on 2 different programs, Picasa 2 & my Sony program.
Played with it & a piece of ;

GARBAGE

Back to square # 1

1 - 18 of 18 Posts